Chapter Seven.

"Got your ears on Star fly, do you copy Star Fly? Over." 

Madetlyn heard the code name from the kitchen. She was washing the morning dishes. Her parents were still at Sunday morning church and they made her stay home with Max.

"Roger to Star Fly. What's your handle again? Over." 

She heard the faint screeching voice from the walkie talkie and knew it was Max's new friend. 

"I thought I already said it to you. I'm Mad Max, Over. " 

She can sense what her brother's face is giving to the walkie. It's part annoyed or part impatient. 

"10-4 Mad Max. What's the 411 on that thing we talked about?"

"Walking first team to set at one o'clock, copy."

"Go again, Mad Max. Sorry a mutt was barking."

Madetlyn dried off her hands with the towel and then walked into the living room. She pointed to her brother and her brother shaked his head, "no. You said you would be able to."

"I didn't agree on anything. It depends on what Mom wants," Madetlyn sat down at the bench near the entrance as she put on her work shoes. 

"We are going to be at the cafe at one o'clock. Lock it up with your belongings, please. Copy?"

Max looked at his sister as she pulled her hair out of the coat and then watched as she got her keys. She dangled them and then Max added, "I am going off walkie for a bit, Star Fly."

"On it and affirmative. I will see the team at one. Over and out."

Madetlyn waited for Max as he put on his jacket too and she patted his back as she guided him outside. 

"Do you think it is weird that I am friends with Elijah and he is going to get a job at the cafe?"

Madetlyn put on her sunglasses as she unlocked the small car. She opened the driver's side door and then pushed her shoulders up in confusion, "I mean if that's what makes your summer go faster and his. Than I don't see anything wrong with it."

"Do you like him?" Max asks when he gets in the car. He saw his sister's expression and then quickly added, "I mean do you trust him? I know it is hard for you to do that sometimes."

Madetlyn sighed and then turned to her brother, "I don't have an opinion on him yet. Maybe once I see him being a good influence on you," she turned on the radio and suddenly Halsey's new single blares in their ears. 

"He is a successful author at twenty one. Can you get any better than that, Maddi Moo?" 

Madetlyn chuckled at the nickname that Max has always had for her. "Just buckle up your seatbelt, Pig Breath." She started the car and it roared to life. 

"It's Mad Max."

She laughed even harder but Max couldn't help but laugh too, "not for me."

*****

Elijah gripped the sliding door of his closet and prepared himself to open it fully. He barely opens this side and when he does he finds it getting struck halfway. 

Elijah struggled against his opponent and only got it to open a few inches before it jammed again, "Oh great," he muttered under his breath, gripping it tighter. He pulled it again but it wouldn't budge. It wasn't until he pulled so hard that his momentum caused him to let go and slam his fingers against the wall beside him. 

"God damn it!" he hollered at the door and then kicked it, "open you fucking," he tried one more time and the door slammed open, "door," he finished on the floor and he got up using the handle of the closet.