♱Two♱

Higra guides me through the servant quarters explaining where I may freely go, such as the lounge and the kitchen until we reach upstairs.

"Your duties as a butler are to keep the mansion in tip top shape at all times. There best not be a speck of dust or dirt anywhere, and it must be done in a timely and quiet manner. His Grace does not condone a ruckus and you will see yourself out of a job should you anger him. Understood?"

I nod. "Understood."

"We were informed you worked on a farm, correct?"

"Yes, since I was a child, Ma'am."

"Good, then I trust we may ask for your assistance should something need a quick fix before replacement."

She shows me where supply rooms are or extra blankets if we ever have guests, although from what I've heard I have a sneaking suspicion His Grace rarely has guests; especially not welcome ones.

The remainder of the day is spent with Higra. I'm introduced to other members of the staff that, honestly, are mostly new faces such as myself. Many claim to have been here five years or less and, yeah, that's a bit of a bad sign. With such a well paying job in the capital, what could make so many quit in such a short time? It's a question that only time can answer.

I'm taken step by step through what my days will consist of, which is all of what I expected. After breaking my back over manual labor since I was old enough to walk, this is easy. My clothes and hands are clean by the end of the day. I'm not soaked in sweat. There's a breeze coming from the open windows but no sun beating down on me. The mansion smells of fresh pine rather than manure of a cowfield or the must of a barn.

When I lay awake in bed that evening, I start to miss it though; the farm.

After Dad died during the war against the Treddin army, it was just Mom and me. We didn't own the farm, only tended to it. Mom started gambling and drinking after Dad's death and it was only me to work the fields. The family was losing money and I couldn't keep up with the work or Mom's debts so one thing led to another. I had to sell what I could and leave to find a job that could afford the payments. Now here I am, working at the most hated estate in, arguably, the world. I would laugh if it wasn't also incredibly disheartening.

Hael suddenly snores causing me to snicker at the gurgling sound. He's asleep in his bed across the room.

Hael's older than me, probably his late twenties and a tad odd. He has a quiet demeanor, much like Higra and the few that have been here a while. Guess that's what it's like after you've settled in (if you settle in, it seems). But he has shared some tips, like avoiding the second floor east hallway. That's where His Grace's room is. Although it's obviously cleaned, mostly by Layne and Higra, Hael said to avoid it and hope you're not asked to do it.

It's strange that the whole household fears His Grace but I haven't seen or heard of him all day. Is he mean? Does he mistreat the servants? Or is it simply because of what he is?

After all, he's one of only three vampires in existence. I fear I know little of the other two but Lord Makai's tale is one all of Aberia knows; a common told bedtime story for kids about what becomes of those with too much greed. The tale of Emperor Elyon Makai and The Holy War that began nearly 1,600 years ago.

To be honest, I don't know if I even understand or know the entire story. Dad told me and we weren't exactly educated, not like the royals that can probably recite the war from start to finish. However, I recall the tale Dad told before bed or I asked to hear while sitting by the fire.

Emperor Makai was greedy and twisted. He bathed in riches and blood, but was forgiven for the economy of Aberia flourished with his expansion of the empire. But his great expansions lessened as his life was coming to an end from illness and his ego was too big to accept that. So with a snap of his fingers, he ordered his Priests of Aena to find the answers to immortality, but Aena was not a Goddess to gift such a feat. The Priests turned to her opposite, Tethros, a God of destruction and chaos to seek guidance and they succeeded, but not for Emperor Makai.

A child was more created than born; Soran Makai, and his soul was imbued with vilis, magic of darkness that has been exiled and shunned from humanity. The empress did not survive child labor for Soran had consumed her blood and organs from within. Emperor Makai could not be saved even with this new information. He died cold and alone while his priests worshipped Soran like a God.

The world grew fearful of what the priests had achieved and the power they now possessed. The Baylor family rose and started a rebellion known as The Holy War that lasted six years until the priests fell. The Baylor family put back together what they could and turned Aberia into a kingdom where they ruled and Soran Makai was left alone. Nothing could be done to him and no one wished to do anything for him.

And that is the tale of how Soran Makai came to be, the vampire I'm now working for. Only time will tell if working for a vampire will be a good or a bad thing.

♱♱♱

Here we are, episode two! Like I said, short chapters especially for me, but I'm interested to see how it works out. Learned some more about Soran Makai, but do you expect the story to be true or is there more to this tale? Are you interested in the world lore? Let me know what you think so far :)