♱Thirty-Nine♱

"This is more than just business though," says the woman. "I rather enjoy your company, Your Grace."

"You need not try to flatter me, Audria. I am not an unhappily married man looking for a woman to inflict my frustrations on."

"And that is why this is not flattery. You're an honest man of simple needs, which is why I will happily service you more than I would others, in fact, I look forward to it."

I need to leave.

"But tonight you're having me leave so soon," she suddenly says with a heavy sigh. "After a mere drink? That's unlike you. Tell me, have I been replaced? Whoever they are must be an absolute dream."

Huh? A mere drink? So they didn't...?

Wait, wait, no! It's not my business. Who cares?! (Asks the boy that is eavesdropping, which implies that he very much cares. Damn it.)

My cheeks warm. My heart skips with every breath.

"Audria."

"What? Can the woman you've been sleeping with for nearly a decade not ask?" Audria giggles. She doesn't sound offended, more teasing if anything. "Fine, fine, I will take my leave."

"Please do." Soran doesn't sound all that angrily, more like just as teasing as she was.

I crawl to a door leading to a lounge like the freaking loser that I am. One could easily see me from the foyer so hiding is a must. Leaving should have been the actual must. What the hell am I doing? Am I a kid?! Why are you like this, Wallie?!

"Remember to summon me should you be in need of assistance again, Your Grace." The front doors open. "Have a good evening then."

Lord Makai hums in response. The door closes followed by the huffs and stomping steps of horses outside. My hands are shaking slightly and I'm not sure if I'm happy or feeling like absolute shit for eavesdropping. What the hell am I doing?

"It's none of your business anyways," I whisper after minutes pass. She is gone. Lord Makai must be too so I take that chance to step into the hall. "It's his life and—"

And I'm screwed because every word has been heard as I soon discover when I happen to take one last glance at the foyer.

Lord Makai is there.

His arms are crossed, gaze fixated on me, obviously aware that I was hiding during their conversation, or at least a part of it. However, he doesn't look angry. If anything, he appears troubled and that makes my throat run dry. Or maybe it's being caught or maybe it's only his attention, who knows at this point. The only thing for certain is that I'm caught and I've forgotten how to breathe.

"What are you doing, Wallace?" He asks. His tone isn't very telling either.

"Uh...I was just..." I hold up the half eaten piece of bread then shove it into my mouth like a complete idiot. At least that gets Soran to smile; soft and lasting a mere moment until it's gone.

"And eavesdropping," he adds.

I puff out my cheeks, unable to bite my lip since I'm midchew. Soran raises a brow, like he expects me to respond but I don't. I chew slowly as an excuse to keep quiet. He shakes his head.

"Go to sleep, Wallie," he says, turning away without another word.

My heart reminds me of how absolutely screwed I am because it chooses to cling to my name.

Wallie. He said Wallie. He rarely calls me Wallie, but when he does my heart doesn't just do the le skippity skip—it full on loses it with an explosive fire that could rival the sun.