♱Seventy-Eight♱

Barely seconds pass prior to a knock at the door. I jump until Soran's voice calls, "Wallie?"

"I'm awake," I say, as if he doesn't already know. Malatis obviously informed him and, clearly, he was out there speaking with Quelen, who was somehow also speaking with me. Vampires are freaking weird, says the one that is dating a vampire.

The door creaks open. Soran enters in with a frown, shoulders slumped and fingers dangling almost lifelessly at his side. There is no sign of any harm, no bruises or scratches. Suppose I would have heard the battle if there were one, but it's relieving nonetheless.

"What happened?" I ask, only realizing when Soran's gaze drifts that I'm still holding the fire iron. I raise it with a half smile. "I thought...it may be of help."

Soran snorts. He shuts the door. "I was hoping you wouldn't wake," he admits, which I can't blame him for. He gestures to the window. "That was Quelen."

"I know."

Soran's eyes narrow in silent questioning.

"He was...speaking to me." I tap my temple when resting the fire iron back at the hearth. Soran crosses the room, taking my face in his hands. When our eyes meet, his are dark and narrow.

"What did he say?"

"That he was curious to meet me. He was almost taunting—" I stop short, flipping over Quelen's words. I will not repeat them, not when I know how much it'll affect Soran. "I don't know what he wanted."

"No one really does," says Soran when dropping his hands to my shoulders. The tension dissipates with the soothing massage of his hands. "He claimed he came to retrieve Janika."

"And he happened to bother me while here?"

"Quelen does what he wants when he wants. The only one he takes orders from is Karsissia so one never really knows his true motives."

"That isn't very comforting."

Soran nods in understanding. With his hand on the small of my back, he says, "Don't worry. He's gone. He isn't stupid enough to return."

"You really never do catch a break, huh?" I tease only to scowl at Soran's pained expression. He's about to take his hand away when I reach for it, interlocking our fingers. "I was teasing. We knew this was going to happen. I guess I just thought we'd have a little breathing room."

Everyone acts quick against Soran. Everyone acts even when they should know that it's pointless. I guess even awful people have to have hope.

"If Quelen came, you don't think Karsissia will show up too, do you?" I nervously ask, recalling all the horror stories I've heard of her. I've never been one to believe rumors, but even Soran doesn't appear to like her much. She may be as bad, if not worse than the rumors.

"Unlikely. She wouldn't waste the trip here. We aren't worth her time."

My jaw drops because, damn it, that's actually a little offensive! This must show in my expression because Soran chuckles.

"Do you feel alright to sleep on your own?" he asks.

I'm quick to shake my head. There's no use in lying. I'm still reeling from the whole having someone speaking to me through my mind thing. I can only imagine how I'll feel or what I'll do once Soran is out of the room. Malatis is great to have around, but against another vampire? I doubt he'll be able to stand up for us both. I'm glad he can't read my mind or else he'd probably ignore me for months!

"Well, I know what we'll be training you to do next," says Soran when guiding me to his room. Malatis follows, practically hopping with excitement.