♱Forty♱

With the passing of The Day of Aberia, winter is coming to an end. The once frigid air has warmed enough to wear no more than a light jacket. Snowfall has lessened until there is but a thin sprinkling of white across the yard. Gray clouds that consumed the sky for months are finally lessening. Spots of familiar light blue peek through fluffy clouds and the sun warms the earth.

The trees are bare and solemn, waiting for the life that spring will bring in a few weeks time. The ice has cracked atop the pond, swaying from side to side with every gust of a cool wind. The fires within the estate have lessened as some have been sweating in the night. There's talk of spring and flowers and more visits into town among the servers. But there is also more work to be done. Soon the yard of House Makai will have to be tended to once more. We are to prepare for when that happens.

I am one that is helping to prepare, waiting patiently at the front doors with Higra and Enith, a fellow butler, for our guests to arrive. Higra informed me earlier that a landscaping company in town will be stopping by the next few days to inspect the yard. Every year Lord Makai does something a little different with the gardens or the hedges, a change of scenery I guess? So the landscapers come in, make up plans, get it cleared with Lord Makai then get to work once the weather is nice.

Why I'm helping is beyond me. Layne has been poking fun that Higra plans to retire soon and is preparing me to take her position, which had me cracking up. There's no way in hell, especially seeing as I haven't even been here a year. However, I am of the belief that she trusts me and because of that she gives me more tasks. How is that fair? But whatever, I am flattered seeing as Higra is not easily impressed.

I sniffle and rub at my reddening nose just as the landscapers come into view.

The pathway to the estate is almost eerie without the foliage of spring or snow of winter. There is an entrapping aspect to it with trees lining the long road. Limbs reach over to form a canopy and block the sun, creating sharp shadows and sudden cuts of light. It gives me the shivers while I watch the landscapers hop off their cart.

There are four in total, three men and one woman. The woman speaking with Higra smiles, already following her around back while shouting for two of the men to take notes of the front. There is clearly a system here as they know exactly what they're doing. Enith joins the two in front while Higra gestures for me to follow. I do exactly that, tagging along behind her and the two landscapers.

The woman has a notepad out that she's scribbling in as Higra speaks while the man is hesitating every now and again to write something for himself. I am not entirely sure why I am needed, especially when I haven't even been introduced, until the man asks, "Miss. Higra, may I borrow him for a moment?"

"But of course, Liam, that is why he is here. Wallace, please help Liam with whatever he needs," replies Higra. She walks away without another word, disappearing behind a few dead bushes.

"Wallace, was it?" asks Liam with a smile. I finally get a good look at him when he holds out his hand. "I'm Liam, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too and, please, call me Wallie."

Liam's short brown hair pokes out beneath his black cap. He's likely around my age, maybe a tad older. Certainly a looker, a looker with a charming smile that can easily make any weak at the knees.

"Wallie, are you new?" He asks, leaning down while sketching on the notepad. I notice that he isn't writing anything but instead drawing shapes. I wonder if it's plans on what they wish the garden's design to be.

"Sort of. I've been here since the start of summer so a few months," I answer.

"Ah, I see, was only askin' cause I hadn't seen you last year. I've been coming to work the yard for four years now."