♱Thirty-Three♱

The "avoiding Wallie" game is still going strong. I don't see Lord Makai at all, not even brief glimpses in the halls. I'm waiting to be told I won't be attending the ball, either due to my mistake or even the accidental meeting with Prince Baylor, but time passes and I receive no such order.

The Day of Aberia has arrived.

I'm following Layne upstairs to join Lord Makai in his carriage. We're to head into town to ready ourselves; apparently even butlers are expected to have nice hair, oh joy!

We're both already dressed for the occasion. The blue suit Lord Makai purchased fits perfectly, almost freakishly so. I'm not accustomed to such high end attire so it almost feels weird to wear it, whereas Layne appears far more comfortable in his deep green suit.

"Do you remember the most important rule I told you?" asks Layne while we wait at the front doors for Lord Makai.

"Don't drink or eat anything."

Layne nods.

"I can't believe we're going to the palace and I can't even risk trying the food," I whine, earning a smirk from Layne.

"It's safest not to accept anything offered at the palace."

"So...how does this normally work?" I ask.

"What do you mean?"

"I imagine Lord Makai hates these parties. The royals aren't fond of him either."

Layne frowns. "Certainly not. This won't be fun, I can say that."

"I admit I'm a bit disappointed even if I suspected it."

"Most of the evening will be spent listening to aristocrats kissing up to Lord Makai then spitting behind his back while he's crueler than ever."

"How so?"

"I doubt a single kind word will be spoken by His Grace this evening. Worry not, most of our time will be spent standing on the sidelines."

"Is it normal for a butler to attend this ball?" I ask. "I imagine there's enough at the palace."

"It's rare, and even if they are brought they typically wait outside with the carriage or in another room. However, Lord Makai is on his own at the palace. Never doubt what they may try to do. I suspect our presence is more necessary to keep him from going completely mad while there."

"Ah, I see."

Layne suddenly leans over to whisper, "I suggest you avoid the royal family though, particularly His Majesty and the crown prince."

Already messed that up seeing as I met Cathen weeks ago. Based on what he said, he'll probably seek me out, which is a frightening thought.

"They'll do anything to get under Lord Makai's skin."

"Isn't that an awful idea?" I ask, confused why anyone would go up against Lord Makai. We are but cockroaches that can be squashed beneath his boot. Why continuously bother?

"Logically, yes, but there's no logic when it comes to greed. Suppose they like to remind him that they can cause harm even if it isn't in the physical sense, or even to him personally."

I never had high regards for the royal family, but now I think even less of them.

Our talk ends with the appearance of Lord Makai. My cheeks grow warm while admiring his picturesque attire, the familiar black and red suit that compliments his broad shoulders and long legs. He's always dressed up, but tonight is even more elegant. Every step he takes is calculated, smooth movements and brooding confidence.