♱Twelve♱

Lord Makai is his usual cranky self come morning. I can't believe I kind of missed it.

In the morning, Lord Makai runs over our plans for the day, making sure to glare at me the whole time too since, apparently, I would have been given a sheet or asked to write this information down to keep track. Since I can't do that, Lord Makai tells me, but I will not disappoint.

After breakfast, we ready ourselves for the first meeting of the day. Snow continues to fall outside so I must hold the umbrella for Lord Makai. My coat, however, is not spared from the snowfall. My back is covered almost instantly.

The town is bustling with life, horses trotting through wide streets pulling their carriages that dig into the dirt. Once white snow turns a murky brown from the mud while the shops sitting side by side are filled with warm light and their signs dusted white. Civilians are rushing about in their heavy coats, arms crossed or hands and faces hidden by layers upon layers of clothes. There's similarity between Isabe and Vashna, the chatter and slight laughter in the air, but Isabe feels friendlier. They're the everyday folk that moved to a booming town for jobs to support their families and it seems to be working. Business really is booming based on the foot traffic that Lord Makai and I see while riding in the carriage to the Makai Mining Co. building in town square next to city hall.

I'm still repeating the schedule in my head, muttering it once or twice then catching Lord Makai raising a brow. Ah, I must be getting too loud, so I repeat the day in my head until I'm certain I won't forget it.

There's the meeting with the heads of Makai Mining Co., one of which has been running the main hub for twelve years named Jeffro. We will have lunch with them afterwards in a restaurant nearby with a name I could never dream to pronounce. Afterwards we will return to tour the facility, which was recently expanded so there are many new workers. Today and tomorrow will consist of Lord Makai observing how the operations are run. He said he'd go over the rest with me later. For now, this is simple enough not to forget.

It's not surprising that Makai Mining Co. is arguably the nicest building in town. A dark brick building painted black, four stories high and as big as a factory with sparkling glass windows and trims within of emerald and silver. There are double doors at the entrance, heavy and wide with arched silver handle bars and within is even nicer. The floors are made of marble with a great chandelier overhead, although they're slightly overshadowed by the chaos within.

At the front is a receptionist desk, but behind her are glass windows that reveal a long room filled with desks and workers that are running about with their hands full. Makai Mining Co. must be the headquarters for all the mines owned by Lord Makai in the kingdom with how busy they are, which isn't surprising. Isabe is a huge mine that has yet to be depleted and, from rumors within the estate, that won't change anytime soon.

"Your Grace!" Calls the receptionist in her purple and black pinup suit. She bows swiftly. "What an honor it is to see you. Please, follow me to the meeting room. Everyone has already arrived and are eagerly awaiting your presence."

Even I want to roll my eyes at her sweet tone, but Lord Makai says nothing; only rolls his coat off his shoulders to hand to me. We follow after the receptionist that takes us to the elevator, another contraption I've never been on. The inside is small with more silver bars that we can see through in order to admire the levels. The woman pulls a silver lever that clicks before we're pulled up.

I accidentally grip the back of Lord Makai's arm.

"Wallace," he hisses.

I let go immediately. "My apologies, Your Grace."

When the doors open, we're lead out only for Lord Makai to stop just short of double doors with a silver plaque overhead.

"Wait here," Lord Makai orders. "You will be called if needed."