♱Eight♱

"I'll be what?" I ask wide-eyed. Hael mirrors my expression, sitting on his bed with a book that slips from his fingers into his lap.

"You will be joining Lord Makai on a business trip to observe the mines of Isabe," Higra repeats angrily because she hates repeating herself but she tends to cut me some slack. I've heard that she really likes my work ethic so I guess I've gotten some brownie points! But maybe that's a bad thing because why else would she come to me for this job?

"Doesn't Layne usually go with His Grace?"

"Layne has been given paternity leave."

Hold up...what?

"Layne has been an excellent worker and Lord Makai has been gracious enough to give him time off to spend with his wife and their first child. Layne and I discussed and agreed that you would be the best fit to travel with His Grace in his stead. Is that a problem?"

Judging by Higra's tone, it doesn't matter if it's a problem because this isn't a request. It's an order. After all, I'm not meant to ask. Just do as I'm told.

But traveling with Lord Makai? That probably means we'll be alone together a lot. He's not a conversationalist and I struggle in completely awkward and silent situations. What am I even meant to do on a trip?

"I wouldn't say it's a problem," I answer nervously. I catch Hael shaking his head out of the corner of my eye. He definitely thinks it's a problem, cool, technically I feel that way too, but saying no isn't an option. "Wouldn't it be better if you went? I've never personally served His Grace."

"Old or not, a woman traveling with His Grace would not look good. You won't leave for a further two weeks. During this time, I will teach you what you must do while on the trip. Serve His Grace well if you wish to keep your job."

"Of course, absolutely, I'll definitely...do my best."

Higra rolls her eyes. It isn't until her footsteps fade in the distance that Hael looks to me and says, "It was nice knowing you."

I throw a pillow at him, which he easily dodges.

"I'm actually going to die on this trip." I sigh and fall back onto the bed, kicking my legs childishly. "Why me?!"

"Higra likes you."

"Why?"

"You're a good worker."

"Thanks, but fuck you."

Being a good worker is meant to give rewards, like a raise, not more work for the moody vampire overlord. I don't want to go on a trip. Why does he need someone to go? Wherever he's staying, shouldn't they have their own workers? He's probably going to make me hold his coat or some shit. It'll be so boring and he'll be so moody. I don't wanna! Why can't he be like the other lords that just hire someone to check for them? Suppose if he did that, he would never leave the mansion. Not like he has friends to visit...when I think like that it even makes me depressed. Wow.

"I guess...it'll be cool to see the mines?" I say more to myself than Hael, who snorts in response.

"It's a dangerous hole in the ground, especially during winter. What about that is interesting?"

"I've never been to Isabe."

At least Hael nods at that.

"It's a big town thanks to the mines. I imagine we'll stay in a hotel, even if I'm in the servant quarters so traveling is a perk, yeah?"

"You're trying really hard to convince yourself that this is ok." Hael laughs. "Keep at it, but it won't actually change anything."

"Your words hurt me."