♱Nine♱

Lord Makai is a pain.

Not literally, he doesn't cause physical pain, but he's mentally exhausting.

Our "practice" week has nearly come to an end and I already want the trip, that hasn't even started yet, to be over. From morning until night, I am his errand boy. There's tea in the morning where I wait for him to finish because apparently he can't pour his own cup and snacks throughout the day. I help with his cufflinks and his coat because nobles can't do that themselves either. Then I help in his office, either clean or retrieve anything he needs whether it's a book from the shelf, another cup of tea, or sending out letters. All that seems ok, right?

Well it isn't the job that bugs me! It's the person.

Lord Makai is not a conversationalist. He glares, he snarls, and he reprimands. When I do something well, there is no thanks or compliment, but if I mess something up even a little I get the signature "do you want to die" snarl accompanied by some form of a lecture. Perhaps Higra learned her ways from him because the two are kind of similar. She yelled at me for the teacups not being straight in the cupboard and Lord Makai whacked me on the back of the head with a rolled up piece of paper when I didn't set the table right for lunch. The only mistake was the knife was on the wrong side!

And he's rude! He doesn't talk. I made the mistake of attempting conversation and only received two words, "Be quiet."

Not as a request, but an order spat out between clenched teeth. The only sign of an emotion other than pure annoyance wasn't even good. I stubbed my toe on the side of the couch once and hopped around while biting my lip to keep quiet. But it wasn't the pain that was the worst part, it was looking up to find Lord Makai watching me with a devilish grin.

"Know that if you don't do well on this trip it won't just be you that's reprimanded," Lord Makai warns over lunch on our last day before the trip. "Higra is the one that taught you, after all."

So that's two threats, one involved ripping out my tongue and the other is threatening me by threatening Higra. What a pleasant fellow. I'm tempted to mention that people may like him more if he had a better attitude but, honestly? That's a lie. They wouldn't, so I cut him some slack.

He's still super annoying. I used to look up to him when I was a kid after the whole saving my life thing. Now I'm a tad bit disappointed, and I wish I could get over those feelings of being grateful so I can just hate him.

"If you're so worried about my performance, why not bring Higra?" I ask even if she has already explained as to why.

"You must really be an idiot," he responds, leaning back into the couch after setting his meal aside.

I've learned he eats normal food too. I wonder if it actually does anything though? Or does he just like the taste? Does it even have a taste to him? If I could ask, I would.

"I'm not nearly as well educated as you, Your Grace, so I fear in comparison I may be an idiot," I respond.

"Do you wish for me to go through with ripping out your tongue?"

Oh, I have been threatened again. I should probably stop.

"My apologies." I pour another cup of tea. "Why did you give Layne leave when the trip was so close? It would have been much easier to take him."

"You ask a lot of questions."

I've asked two, but ok.

"He should have been able to attend, but the baby was premature," he actually answers. "You were recommended, although I'm beginning to think that was the wrong choice."