♱Three♱

"Wallie, could you take care of the guest rooms on the second floor west side? Once that's done, you may call it a night," Layne calls into the kitchen, catching me midbite.

"Yes, I'll get right on it!"

"Finish your meal first," he laughs, disappearing to continue his own duties.

I'm quick to do so, finishing the broth in a few quick gulps then I'm on my way to the second floor. I already know what to do, where to go, and how to get it done. A week has already passed and I've come to quite like this job. It's simple, not always easy since I have been called on occasion to bring in or take out new furniture, fix a broken item or two as Higra said, or clean the towering walls of the mansion. Heights aren't my speciality, but I've managed.

There's a certain calmness to the mansion. Everyone moves like a well oiled machine. Work gets done. We move from one job to the next, laugh a bit between in the privacy of the servant quarters and go about our business with little to no interruption.

Oh, and the pay is certainly worth it. After receiving my first paycheck at the end of the night, I'm not sure what to do with it.

"Why don't you go into town?" Hael asks. He's sitting on his bed with an open book in his lap. A pair of glasses are perched on his crooked nose.

"You think I can afford something in town?"

"There are small shops and eateries near South End. Most of us servants spend our spare time there."

"Oh yeah?" I hum, finishing up changing from the usual uniform into trousers to sleep in. "Mind taking me then?"

"I suppose. I would like a new book."

He's going to run out of space. Hael has a trunk beneath his bed full of books and there's more books in his wardrobe than clothes. But that's all I see him do in his spare time so at least he has a hobby. I've never learned to read so I can't relate.

"Hael, can I ask you something?"

"Hmm?"

"Is His Grace not here?"

Hael raises his head with a cocked brow. "Excuse you?"

"I've been here a week and have yet to see him."

"Yes, and that's a good thing. Hope it remains that way a while longer."

"Why?" I ask and Hael's cocked brow turns into an expression of disbelief.

"Do you wish to see him?"

"I wouldn't say wish. I just find it odd to be serving someone I've yet to see."

That's a complete lie, one that Hael doesn't even take notice of.

"Trust me, you don't want to." Hael shivers. "He makes Higra look easy going."

I whistle, that's actually impressive because I think Higra needs to be a captain in the military rather than a head maid. She has spunk and attitude without giving attitude, which is a skill most don't have. And she certainly is stern, I've been whacked over the head a few times because I didn't make the bed well enough or the cups weren't aligned perfectly in the cupboards.

"Is he that cruel?" I ask.

"Cruel?" He snickers. "He's a monster, you'll learn that soon enough."

I bite my lip, holding back the truth that nearly slipped out. Not that Hael would believe me if I told him the story.

"We should stop talking about His Grace. Should he ever hear, we'll find ourselves out of a job at best," Hael says then returns to his quiet reading.

"Right... plans to go out tomorrow after work then?"

Hael nods.

Our conversation came to an end with me flinging myself back onto the bed. It's not that late and I'm not all that tired, but servant life starts as early as farm life does so I roll onto my side in hopes to get some sleep. The idea of heading into town for the first time with money to actually spend helps ease me to sleep after such an unsettling topic.

However, the next day I'm reminded of what Hael said, "He's a monster, you'll learn that soon enough."

♱♱♱

The sound of glass shattering is followed by a sudden ear splitting scream, like that of an angry beast, bursting forth from the east wing of the second floor. I'm on the opposite end of the hall to witness it, along with Layne and Elamir. Both look away when a pair of doors swing open. I don't though; I watch as a stranger rushes out with a dark cap pulled low to hide his features. There's blood on his hand.

And maybe I'd have done or said something if not for the shock of seeing the man alone one second then a dark looming figure behind him the next. To say it happened in the blink of an eye would be a lie, it was somehow even faster.

One moment the man is alive and the next Lord Makai has him by the throat, tearing into his flesh in horrendous fashion. I recall father reading me stories of a vampire's bite in silly tales made up from legends, but the saying is true; reality is stranger than fiction.

When Lord Makai bites, the man struggles as the flesh of his neck is torn to shreds like it is as soft as melted butter. His skin grows pale, eyes wide and mouth agape to let out a shrill scream that chills me to the core.

Then it's over when Lord Makai doesn't release, he simply pulls back so the flesh is ripped from the bone and the stranger's neck snaps with a loud crack. A spray of red follows, coating the corpse that is dropped to the floor and the man that had done it.

My first time seeing Soran Makai here, he's covered in blood.

The deep black of his hair is now twisted and plastered to pale skin. Narrow eyes, fearsome and red, are set into a stern glare as frightening as the twisted scowl permanently etched into his sharp features. His ears are long and pointed, poking out of the curls of his hair, blacker than night itself, while fangs hang over bloody lips. There's a dagger sticking out of the back of his neck. He rips it out with a sickening squelch to drop on the floor.

Lord Makai looks to me and I'm reminded of Higra's words.

"Never show disgust or fear."

That's easier said than done, especially after witnessing a man perish and having to look into the burning red eyes of his killer. An immortal killer at that.

♱♱♱

Early update because I'm going to my mom's tonight, gonna be busy this weekend so, yeah, here ya go! *clears throat* Well, that was a bit unpleasant for Wallie, wasn't it? Did you expect to meet Soran in such a, uh, violent way? And what are your thoughts on him based on the information so far? Would love to hear any theories you've already got ;)