♱Twenty-Six♱

"You ok, Wallie?" Hael asks, watching me scrub the ballroom floor with a ferocity I didn't even know I had.

"Fine, why do you ask?" I lie, but send the boy a beaming smile.

He has taken a break in the scrubbing, sitting on his knees with a bucket of soapy water beside him. Sighing, he sets his rag aside and says, "You've been acting strange for a while."

"Strange?"

I think the word he meant is agitated, since that is exactly how I've been and I know it.

Almost a week has passed since the incident with Lord Makai. We haven't spoken, although once Layne asked if I would take up Lord Makai's lunch. I declined. I doubt Lord Makai wishes to see me nor I him so I had to apologize to Layne.

I've been working like crazy. Work is the only way to keep me from ranting violently or imagining kicking Lord Makai into an active volcano. I wonder if anyone has tried that, he shouldn't be able to heal if there is nothing left to heal! Freaking no good son of a—see, there I go again. I need to work harder.

"Look at you, you're scrubbing like someone is threatening your life," Hael says, pointing accusingly.

"I'm working. This is my job and I want to do well."

"Well? You're exceeding so much that it's making the rest of us look bad."

I smirk at Hael's teasing smile. Shaking his head, he gets back to work, scrubbing his own section that has taken him probably three times as long to do. Not that I'm complaining, I want more work.

"Why don't we go to South End tomorrow?" Hael asks. "We can get you some new books, maybe get a drink. It'll help take your edge off."

"I don't have an edge, but...I haven't had a drink in a while so, yeah, we can go. If I get drunk after one drink though, it is your duty to drag my ass back."

Hael laughs. "I'm not making any promises."

Then we both get back to work with the usual banter shared throughout the day. I must be more obvious than I thought though because even Elamir and Janein ask if I'm feeling alright. I promise both that I am as fine as ever because I know, in time, I will be. I'm just bothered right now because of the betrayal, which I have finally accepted as the reason to why I am so upset.

It was a betrayal. I thought Lord Makai and I were on much friendlier terms. I wouldn't say friends exactly, but there was an understanding that I was on his side. I don't hate him, especially for something he has no control over. Even now, I don't hate Lord Makai for being a vampire. I'm pissed at him for being an asshole. He assumes I would spy, because of what? Others have and I must be exactly like them? Somehow our time spent together, and our past, mean nothing? I get why, seriously, I understand, but that doesn't mean I'm any less pissed off.

Betrayal. That's exactly what it was and he doesn't even care enough to apologize. I've learned my lesson. In time, I'll move on.

But maybe that will take longer than I expect because, around lunch, Higra calls for me. I stand before her, confused, anxious, and frustrated when she says, "You will be joining Lord Makai on a trip into town today."

"What?" I ask, trying desperately to hide my scowl. Higra will certainly lecture me for it. "What for, and why not Layne?"

"I'm unsure. Lord Makai simply requested a carriage to be readied and for you to attend him. Get yourself ready and wait at the door."

"But I have other duties to attend to!" I exclaim, flinching at the icy glare Higra sends me. Honestly, hers is more terrifying than Lord Makai's.

"Do as you're told, Wallace."