♱Fifty-Six♱

"Everyone is safe and accounted for. There are a few minor injuries, cuts and bruises, which are already being examined by the local doctor. The estate, however--" Higra purses her lips with obvious annoyance. "Is in complete disarray. The library is in ruins. The windows are shattered. The roof is caved in on the west wing. We're still uncertain what all is broken, but most of the kitchenware is shattered and the yard is mostly ash by this point."

"Do what needs to be done. Don't worry over expenses," says Soran. He's resting in bed, back pressed to the headboard. A man was called earlier for Soran to feed on. I can't say I'm completely pleased about that, but Soran asked that I not offer myself again so I won't. Besides, Soran is already appearing a thousand times better, finally out of his bloodstained clothes and skin returning to the natural pale white rather than the off gray.

"I can request the doctor to pay you a visit."

"No need. Have him come up to check on Wallie though."

"I'm fine," I argue quickly. "He should check on everyone else first."

Higra looks at Soran, who only repeats, "Call for him now."

I groan.

"Pay him for whatever treatments were given afterwards."

Higra nods then glances at me. There's almost an apologetic look in her eyes. She nods. "I'm glad that you are safe, Wallace."

"And I'm glad nobody is severely hurt." I glance to Soran, who raises a brow. "Well, almost nobody."

"I'll return momentarily with the doctor." Higra leaves. I almost wish she stayed. The silence that lingers is far worse than expected. I can't bring myself to say a damn thing until the doctor arrives, an elderly man with a bright smile.

"Good evening, Your Grace," he says with a bow. "Are you certain you don't need me to look over you?"

Soran nods. "Wallace has been through quite a shock. Inspect his lumen. Make sure it is not too low."

My lumen?

The doctor nods. He gestures for me to step over to the couch where we both take a seat. Most of what he does is standard, checking my pulse, taking my temperature, the usual. But then he gives me another warm smile when saying, "This is going to tingle for a moment."

I nod, unsure of what he's about to do. He presses two fingers to my chest, shuts his eyes and breathes out a long, slow breath. Like he said, it tingles, whatever it is. The same white light from before appears at his fingertips. I swear I feel it coursing through my veins faster and faster and faster until it's gone in a flash. His eyes open and he hums.

"A tad low," he says when facing Soran. "Nothing to worry about though." He faces me again. "I do suggest you not use any magic for at least a week though. Take it easy on any intense physical labor for the next few days too. Drink plenty of fluids and have snacks throughout the day along with your meals. If you feel light headed or unusually tired, let me know." The doctor stands, smiling between the two of us. "Other than that, he's perfectly healthy, Your Grace."

"My head maid will give whatever payment is needed for all treatments."

"You are most humble, Your Grace." The doctor gives a courteous bow before leaving. When the door shuts behind him, I face Soran, somehow even more confused than before.

"Magic?" I ask, getting up to retake my position at Soran's bedside. "I never used any magic."

"Earlier," Soran explains with a scowl. "With Allvar."

I think back on it, the only thing coming to mind has me asking, "The white light he was taking from me?"

Soran nods with narrowed eyes.