♱Eighty-Three♱

Wallie P.O.V.

"Wallie! Wallie!"

I awake to Hael's concerned expression hovering above me. "He's awake!" He calls.

Higra joins, appearing stern as usual, but not directed at me. "Get him down to the bunker, now," she orders.

Their voices are too loud. My head throbs. The scent of smoke overtakes my nostrils. Violent coughs rattle me after heaving a few strained breaths.

"I-Is there a fire?" I ask, trying to remember how I got here, sprawled out before the front door. The sky is dark yet there's an abundance of light. Looking up, all I see are harsh gray clouds of smoke.

"Yes," Hael answers when lifting me to my feet. "But not here."

I search for the fire, eyes widening when spotting the fierce flames overtaking the city of Vashna. They eat the sky. Lighting and darkening it all at once. Ash reigns from heavy clouds. Trees go up in flames. They grow closer to the estate, lighting the world in a blazing warning.

Then the screams. I hear citizens crying from the city. There are explosions that rattle the ground beneath our feet. Bursts of smoke and debris into the sky. I sense it too, lumen raging in the city. I swear I see the light through the trees. Taste the magic in the air. But it's violent and unpredictable. My toes curl. Fear courses through me, and confusion, that then twists into worry when my mind finally returns.

"Soran--" I throw my gaze about, desperately searching our surroundings. "Where's Soran?!"

Hael takes me inside. Higra slams the door shut. Janein and Enith are there. They push a heavy bookshelf over, locking us within, although I'm tempted to point out the windows are easy to break through. However, considering what's going on, it's doubtful we have the time to board everything up. They're doing what they can.

"We haven't seen His Grace. Was he with you?" Janein questions, further cementing my fears.

"I...we were..." I press my palm to my aching skull, attempting to mull over the events earlier. I must have hit my head hard because the memories come back in painful flashes. "Yes, he was here and then something, or someone, I don't know, something grabbed him!"

I look to the floor that doesn't appear any different. "I don't know. He was right here and Malatis--" I search for the familiar that is nowhere to be seen. My eyes widen. "Have any of you seen Malatis either?"

"No. It was only you up here," Hael explains.

Both Malatis and Soran are missing. Vashna is up in flames. Bile rises in my throat. "Do you know what's happening?" I ask, allowing Hael to help me limp down the hall.

"No," Higra replies. "We were downstairs where we heard explosions. Layne worried about his family since they sounded like they came from town. When we came up to check, we found you and saw that." She gestures to the orange light filtering in through the windows.

"Where is Layne then?"

"Went running into town," Janein mumbled. "His wife and child are there. I-I hope they're alright."

"Do you think it's the army coming this way? Should we leave?" Enith whimpers, reminding me of what Hael informed me of earlier.

"Why would they take fire to the city if it's us they're comin for? It must have something to do with whatever happened to Soran and Malatis." If Malatis is gone...then Soran must be weak. If someone attacked, I wouldn't have been left out there. And if Soran is weak then he's hurt and I have no idea where he is, how to find him, if I can help or what the hell is going on.