4 - Not Your Mate Yet.

The next morning, I chose something more subtle to wear to school. My Monkees shirt and plain dark jeans seemed alright, with my hair in a loose braid to the side complete with a single white flower in the top of it. I couldn't go without my red lipstick though.

"Bye Mum, have a good day, see you this afternoon!" I yelled out after putting my cereal bowl and spoon in the sink.

I opened the door and nearly had a heart attack when I saw none other than Steven standing there, arm raised, apparently about to knock.

I stepped outside and quickly shut the door.
"What the hell are you doing at my house? How'd you even know where I live?" I asked him as I pushed him down the driveway.

"You should really be more careful, Australia," he said cheekily and held up my mud map.

"What-" I went red with rage. "Well you didn't have to show up! What if you got the chance to knock and my mother answered? Would she have a fit! Why'd you even make the effort to go to my house?"

He didn't answer until we got around the first corner. "Wouldn't you have needed your crappy little map? You know, to find your way?" He put his hands in his pockets.

I sighed at his words. "Whatever," I rolled my eyes and looked to the other side.

"Well, school's around the next left. See you later," he said with cheek.

"What are you doing?" I frowned.

"Um, going to school. Aren't you? I can't be seen arriving with some new chick," he said cockily.

I sighed without answering and he strode off in front of me and turned the corner.

---

The first two classes were Tallarico-free, although Tom was in my Maths and both he and Brad were in my English.

At lunch time I found a nice patch of shade behind one of the classrooms; no one seemed to want to go there, so I took the opportunity of having a nice, peaceful lunch break.

Until I heard his voice.

No way, out of the whole school grounds, I did not choose their place... but I did.

I closed my eyes and braced for impact.

"She's decided to join us!" Steven declared.

"Leave me alone, Tallarico, I didn't know this was your spot." I said and I started to put my lunch back in my bag and get up.

Steven put his hand on my shoulder as I began to stand, forcing me back down.

"Aw, come on, don't leave! We just got here," he said, his voice actually sounded like he wanted me there. Probably to torment me.

Because I was sitting with my back against the building, each of the five guys stationed themselves around me so I couldn't really escape the situation. Steven sat himself right next to me, of course.

"Do you have to?" I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Have to what?"

"Come on, you idiot, you know. Be here," I replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry but I recall this being our spot, and I recall you being the new girl, who's never actually sat in this spot before." Steven looked at me and his eyes drilled into mine.

He had a point.

"Let me leave then," I crossed my arms and looked at each of the guys, hoping they'd give in.

"Oh no, we're simply being hospitable." Steven argued, and crossed his arms behind his head and leaned against the building.

"More like hostile," I retorted as quietly as I could.

"What was that?" Steven raised a brow.

"I didn't say anything," I shrugged.

About half a minute passed in silence.

"So, do any of you guys talk?" I asked cautiously.

"Of course we do, kid," Joe replied.

"Don't call me 'kid', mate." I said.

"Not your mate," he answered.

"Chill out ladies," said Steven. "Not your mate yet,"

He put emphasis on the 'yet'.

"Are you actually for real?" I asked them. "Why are you trying - or pretending, I don't know - to be my friend, Tallarico?"

I frowned at him.

"Don't be so sour," Steven countered. "Can't a guy befriend the new kid?"

He had a point. Again.

"Do you usually adopt the new kids, then?" I asked him, starting to relax a little.

"Actually, no. I guess you stood out." he replied coolly.

"There was this other kid," Brad piped in, "but he left like a week later."

"And then there was that dude who got himself suspended but never came back," added Joey. 

"Settle down," said Steven, "no need to bring them up, geez."

He looked out in the opposite direction, as if he really didn't want to remember them.

"Man, you sound like you killed them or something," I said to him as a joke.

He didn't answer at first.

"Yeah, ha," he said, sounding bored. I frowned a little at his suddenly changed attitude.