Chapter 1

"Fine, go hang out with your friends and totally ignore your girlfriend."

"I'm not ignoring you, dammit, I just want to hang out with the guys today."

"You hang out with the guys every day, when are you going to start putting me first?"

"What the hell do you mean every day? We haven't even been dating long enough for there to be an 'every day'. I just want to hang out with my friends for a bit. Stop being so over dramatic about it."

"Go ahead, I don't give a damn. Hang out with your dumbass friends and don't call me when they land you in jail."

"Listen, Kate, I don't care if we are dating, you do not insult my friends. They're like brothers to me and if you can't understand that then we probably shouldn't be dating."

"Are you breaking up with me?"

"I'm saying it's that or stop your bitching."

"Get the hell out my sight. I never want to see you again."

I had no qualms about obeying. She was too much. She was the definition of self-centered and egotistic. However, I do regret not giving in. Maybe, if I made it through that fight, we would have stayed together long enough for me to find out. Maybe. Probably not.

When I found out three months later that she was going to study abroad, I thought nothing of it. She didn't have anything to do with me and I didn't have anything to do with her so I didn't question the sudden trip. Part of me is blaming my own stupidity for not finding out sooner. For having to wait nine years later to find out. The other part just aches. There are so many 'if only's but only one reality. And the reality of the situation is he's here now and it's my job to protect him. No matter what, I planned to do just that.

Thirty minutes before I met him, I was walking into my apartment after a difficult day at work. I worked in marketing, an office grunt. I ran around, making sure that the clients were happy while I was miserable. Although I don't blame my job for my being miserable, it actually suited me well. It was just the loneliness I felt when I came home. I lived alone in a small apartment that had a beautiful black and white motif. At least that's what Chrissy, the wife of one of my best friends, said when she finished decorating it. All of my friends had found 'the one' in their late teens, whom they now lived with, and I was happy for them. However, I saw what they had and became envious. Their love was so perfect, I began to want that. Not just one night stands and relationships that might last a month if I was lucky.  

I collapsed on my leather black couch and undid my tie, throwing it and my button up shirt on my recliner chair. I stretched my fully tattooed arms over my head then tucked them beneath my head and yawned. I knew I should have been making myself something to eat but I couldn't bring myself to care.

I didn't even know that I had fallen asleep until I was woken by my intercom buzzing. Dazed and irritated, I stumbled over to my intercom and barked, "What?"

"Hello, my name is Louis Mironav. I have come on official legal business regarding the will of Leslie Owens."

My sleep addled brain missed everything but 'Louis' and 'lawyer' and 'Leslie Owens.' The last part simply triggered something in my mind. I knew the name for sure but I couldn't place a face to the name. I stood by the door, contemplating the name until there was a knock at the door. I opened the door. A man about my age stood there stiffly, his deep gray eyes were sharp and scrutinizing as he stared right back at me. His pale brown hair were almost gray in the dim hallway light. He stood a couple inches over me with his hands in the pocket of his crisps navy blue suit.