4. Welcome Aboard

"So, you're not with S.H.I.E.L.D.?" Rogers inquired of me. We sat alongside each other on the plane.

"No," I confirmed. "I'm a last minute addition."

"Why?"

"Well..." I accessed the tablet, bringing up Loki's profile. "I'm not from here, if you can believe that."

"I want to, but I can't."

"I've actually only been here for a year. I still call it Midgard sometimes, it's an old habit. I'm from Asgard, just like him." I pointed to Loki's picture. "He's the reason why I'm part of this."

"You know him?"

I sighed. I refrained from spilling my life's story to Rogers. Sure, we got acquainted, but we were nowhere near becoming fast friends. "Coulson believes that I may be able to help out, as though I can find Loki and tell everyone what he's thinking."

"Can you?"

I laughed. "No, but I do have abilities, one that involves the mind."

"Prove it."

Don't think you're insane if you can hear me, I warned him. I bit my lip to hide my laughter at Rogers' wide-eyed look.

"Let's not do that again," he said quickly. "Can I see that?" Rogers nodded to the tablet in my hand.

"Oh, yeah, sure." I handed the device over.

"We're about forty minutes out from home base, sir," one of the pilots spoke. They got Coulson's attention; he left whatever screen he was occupying.

I looked over Rogers' shoulder to see him looking at Dr. Banner's profile. It was good he'd moved on from Loki's picture. If I stared at it any longer, I would have begun reminiscing.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum they used on me?" Rogers asked Coulson.

"A lot of people were," Coulson admitted. "You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula."

I cringed, watching the video of the Hulk creating chaos.

"Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much. When he's not that thing, though, the guy's like a Stephen Hawking."

Rogers and I both stared at Coulson.

"He's like a smart person."

My attention went back to Banner's profile on the tablet.

"I have to say, it's an honor to meet you officially. I sort of met you. I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping."

I looked back up at Coulson with narrowed eyes.

"I mean, I was present while you were unconscious."

Rogers handed the tablet back to me as he got up.

"You know, it's really just a huge honor to have you on board."

"I hope I'm the man for the job."

"Oh, you are. Absolutely. We made some modifications to the uniform. I had a little design input."

"The uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little old-fashioned?"

"With everything that's happening and the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned."