9. Time Bomb

Everything was destroyed.

Where I was wasn't familiar. The damage was catastrophic, so traumatizing that any sane human would be put into an asylum looking at it. The stench was overwhelming; I was very tempted to vomit.

I pulled myself out from under building debris. My body ached, my legs were about ready to collapse, and I had a nice collection of dirt and dust all over me. I breathed in the disgusting air, coughing.

"Hello?" I yelled into the air.

The only response I received was my echo.

Chilling laughter made me spin around, lighting up my hands with fire. "Show yourself!"

"I would be glad to."

I nearly stumbled off the debris I stood on once Loki materialized before me.

"You're the only one left."

I looked around, realizing that his army of Chitauri—whatever they looked like—was nowhere to be seen. I could say the same for the Avengers and any S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. It was as though Loki and I were the last two beings on Earth.

"I warned you, did I not, that this would happen? Here is your chance to stay alive. All it takes is you pledging your allegiance to me."

It took all the strength in my body to stand erect. "Never!" I spat. "I would have gladly bowed down before you if you were a rightful ruler. You lust after power. Genocide did not help you gain anything, so what brought you to believe that ruling over an entire race would give you a better result?"

He gestured to the destruction around us. "I believe it is an improvement."

"You deserve to be buried under all this damage, not the humans!" I stomped my foot down.

"Your words are meaningless, darling. You are a woman of all talk, no action. A shame. Your powers could have easily been improved if you had taken the time to train yourself. Who knows what you could have achieved—what you still can?" He walked casually closer; his staff's gem a blindingly bright blue. "I will break you, Kiara. I will not murder someone who has potential to be something."

"I would rather take my life."

"You would really resort to such an extreme? My, my, Earth really has given you a bad influence." He tsked. "Your spirit will be all the more fun to command. Cooperate, and we will not have any issues."

I scoffed, feeling a bit dizzy. My eyes didn't leave the blue gem of Loki's scepter.

"Kneel before me," he said quietly. I felt a hint of urgency behind his tone.

I didn't obey, I stood my ground. "What, you thought I'd bow because you asked? Even if you asked nicely, it would be a hard 'no'. You're not dealing with humans anymore, Loki."

One corner of his mouth twitched downwards. "Once I get you to obey, I will have to make you keep quiet." We stood with a foot of space between us. His eyes seemed to flash with annoyance. "I said, kneel."

I stood in defiant silence.

Loki's face twisted into a snarl. I almost dropped to my knees instantly when he wrapped a hand around my throat. Blue eyes met blue, only the blue I stared into were supposed to be green. Whatever was controlling Loki had full dominance over him.