11. Fractured

I had no idea where I was going.

I had no idea who needed my help, if anyone even did. For all I knew, the fighting stopped already. Whoever came after Loki could be in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s hands right now and I wouldn't know it. But surely Fury would say something through the earpiece if that were true.

I let myself get lost in the injured Helicarrier until something looked familiar. I knocked out a few opponents during my exploration. They were merely humans, whether they were controlled by Loki or not. I didn't kill anyone, I merely rendered them unconscious. Unlike Loki, I didn't kill for fun. I didn't even kill; I didn't have the heart for it.

I eventually found myself wandering towards the detention level. He could be out right now and nobody would know. Feeling the urgency rise inside of me, I sprinted down the semi-familiar path. I nearly bowled over an agent in my haste that looked to be going the same way as me. I backtracked to see that Coulson and I had crossed paths.

"Detention level?" I asked.

"Yes. You're heading there as well?"

"Do you want an extra body?"

"It wouldn't hurt."

"Lead the way; I'll be right behind you."

As we started for Loki's prison, a curious question came to mind. "Coulson, should I even begin to ask what you have in your arms?"

"I don't even know what to call it, it's only a prototype."

"Lovely. Will it work?"

"Let's hope it does."

"If it doesn't, I'll be the backup weapon." I had a grim teasing tone to my voice.

Instead of finding the normal way in, I ended up at the other entrance, the one that didn't bring me directly in front of Loki's glass cage. The door looked to be open. Coulson and I occupied either side, I peeked in.

How could Thor have gotten here before me? Had I wandered around that long? How did he manage to take care of the Hulk? He couldn't have killed Banner. My theories on where the doctor was could be addressed later. The whereabouts of Banner wasn't what frightened me; it was what I saw before me.

Loki wasn't in his cage, Thor was. Loki was out, and he had a guard with him. My eyes narrowed, seeing that Thor had attempted to shatter the glass—there was a good sized crack. I could see Loki hovering near the control panel that would allow the cell to drop out of the Helicarrier. My jaw tensed.

"What does it look like in there?" Coulson whispered, shifting the heavy weapon in his arms.

"Loki has a guard with him. I'll take him out, you flank me."

With a go-ahead nod from Coulson, I stepped onto the scene lithely. I crept behind the guard, ready to knock him out. Coulson got to him first, conking him on the back of the head. The guard groaned before he hit the floor. So much for me dealing with him.

"Move away please," Coulson demanded.

I ignited my palms, ready for battle. Loki hesitated at the panel; his hand was close to sending Thor skydiving. Thor watched from the cage intently.

"You like this? We started working on the prototype after you sent the Destroyer. Even I don't know what it does." The weapon purred as it powered up. "Do you want to find out?"