10. Loki's Play

I was blasted off my feet, freefalling briefly before crashing onto hard, cold metal.

I picked my head up to see I'd fallen out of the laboratory into some other area of the Helicarrier. I wasn't alone, either. When the chaos began, Natasha and Banner were brought down with me.

How come none of us saw this coming? Just because Loki was in our care didn't mean he still couldn't strike back, even if he wasn't a part of the assault. His minions—whether they were controlled or not—wanted their leader back.

Currently, Natasha was trying to pull her leg out of some debris. If I was able to see a bit straighter, I would have helped her. Though I was able to endure more than humans, the impact did sting.

Looking dazedly to my left, I noticed Banner acting strange. He was hunched; unusual, frightening noises were coming from him. My eyes widened. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Banner was fighting a battle with "the other guy" as he liked to call his alter ego, and he looked to be losing.

"Hill!" Fury's voice thundered in my ear. I'd forgotten I'd put the earpiece in.

"External detonation," Agent Hill confirmed. I remembered her voice vaguely. "Number three engine is down. Somebody's got to get outside and patch the engine."

"Stark, you copy that?"

"I'm on it," Stark confirmed.

"Coulson, initiate defensive lockdown in the detention section then get to the armory. Romanoff?"

"We're okay," she panted. "We're okay, right?"

Kiara, are you alright? Thor asked.

I hissed, feeling my forehead pulse. Uh-huh. My vision isn't great, but I'm still breathing. You?

Where are you?

I don't know.

What is going on?

You know this is a prison break, Thor.

Tell me where you are, I will find you.

What did I just say? I don't know where I am!

Is anyone else with you?

Agent Romanoff and Banner are. Banner doesn't look like he's doing too well, Thor.
I will find you. Give me time. Be careful, Kiara.

You too.

"Doctor?" Natasha's voice brought me back to the current situation. "Bruce? You got to fight it. This is just what Loki wants. We're going to be okay."

It didn't look like Natasha's reassurance was helping Banner. I could see a bit of green coloring on his skin. I knew my eyes weren't tricking me despite the poor lighting.

"Listen to me," Natasha continued. "We're going to be okay. All right? I swear on my life, I will get you out of this. You will walk away and never ever—"

"YOUR LIFE?" Banner thundered.

Chills ran through my blood.

The green was continuing to consume Banner's skin. He seemed to be growing in size; his shirt was starting to tear in places. I was too frozen to attempt to help anyone. I'd seen a video or two of what the Hulk looked like, I'd never wanted to meet him in person.