12. Fire and Ice

I didn't know how to explain what I felt. Perhaps the best way was to say it was like a blind person seeing the world for the first time. I felt changed, my mind open to new, strange things.

I embraced every single one of them. I embraced this madness that was going on in the Helicarrier.

I felt calm in this tense situation.

Loki knelt beside me, regarding me with a triumphant look in his eyes. There'd always been a spark in him, something that was destined to do great things. I guess ruling over the humans qualified.

"That's much better, is it not?" he asked. With a slight grunt, using his scepter, he got to his feet. "Come, Kiara. If we linger much longer, we will go down with this flying craft."

"Do you even know how to pilot a plane?" I sat up.

"Do you?"

"Do I look like a pilot?"

"Even when you are on my side, you have a sharp tongue." He sighed. "This is why we enlist some help."

"I can always threaten them."

"As delightful as that sounds, my method is better. On your feet."

Nimbly, I jumped, trailing behind Loki. I didn't realize how tired he appeared. The past times I had seen him, he looked ready to fight. I considered aiding him, but he had the scepter to use as a crutch, so I didn't worry too much. As for me, the throbbing in my ribs was lessening. I wasn't going to forgive the Hulk so easily for trying to pop me.

Loki didn't take long to take over two pilots who escorted us to a plane. While the pilots got situated, Loki and I ambled up the ramp. The engines soon roared to life, and the rear hatch went up. I didn't sit down like Loki did, I was too wired.

"What's our next move?" I was more than ready to see this plan come to fruition.

"We oversee how the portal is coming along. Once the time is right, we let the Chitauri do the rest."

"You mean we won't fight with them?"

"Unless worst comes to worst or we are confronted directly, we won't."

"Not up for fighting?"

"It isn't that. Why do you think I allied with the Chitauri? One being does not win a war, an army does." His eyes narrowed. "What is that?"

"What's what?"

"That, in your ear." With a little difficulty, Loki got to his feet, pulling out an earpiece.

"Oh. Director Fury gave that to me."

The earpiece was destroyed in the palm of his hand. "Is this not much easier, Kiara? You alongside me without a fuss?"

"Where we headed?"

"Stark Tower."

I could paint the picture in my head now: at the top of Stark Tower, the portal. The big hole in the sky raining armies of Chitauri on the humans. I wondered what the aliens even looked like. They had to look intimidating, most villainous creatures often did.

To many, this would be their worst fear, world domination. For others, like Loki, it would be a testament to how far he came to have his work pay off.

"I'll be ready." I tossed a flame around nonchalantly, not really caring if I started a fire inside the plane. "If anyone tries to harm you, they'll have to face me."