15. The Underdogs

Someone was shaking me, trying not to be violent about it.

Not all of my senses were back to normal, so I couldn't hear everything that was going on around me. I could feel things, like a pounding pain throughout my body. I could smell things, like fire and smoke, some blood.

When I finally found the strength to get my eyes open, I remembered what was going on. The portal was open, the Chitauri had made landfall. New York was being torn apart. People were cowering in fear or still trying to escape the madness. The Avengers had to be in the mix somehow, somewhere in the city, defending the civilians.

This time, I knew what side I was destined to be on. I didn't belong to Loki or his mind control any longer, I was Kiara Rivers again. I was allied with S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers.

My vision was starting to stitch together, so I could see the blue sky dotting with Chitauri on their speeders. But my eyes focused on something much closer to me—Thor, who was the one who was waking me up.

"Your eyes, they are normal again," Thor noticed. "The control is broken!"

"I'm me again, I know." I sniffed. "I don't think a hit to the face was the best thing to cure my problem, though."

"I had to do it. Someone would have gotten injured worse or killed if we kept fighting."

"Well, thanks for the hit...I think. Just know that if I have problems when I fight, it's all because of you."

Despite the serious comment, Thor laughed. For a second, it was like we weren't in a war of two worlds. "I will not forget. Now, you need to be on your feet, Kiara. We are needed elsewhere."

"Can't I sit here for another minute? You knocked me down pretty good. How did you not take my head off?"

"You do not have another second's rest."

I was swiftly pulled onto my feet. I didn't feel strong on my legs; I was still trying to gather my bearings from the blow. Thor didn't look so good himself. A light sweat broke out on his forehead, a light patch of red seeped through his tunic. I remembered the bloody metal pick, the weapon Loki had snuck into Thor's abdomen.

"I swear to you, if I find Loki, he's finished," I spat. "For all that he's done to me, to you, and to everyone that's gotten in his path; he'll pay for every second."

"We need to focus on the Chitauri before Loki, Kiara. I know you have unfinished business with him, but it can be put on hold."

"Right." I looked out to the destroyed streets of New York.

Cars were burning; a few scattered police officers were trying to help civilians out of the line of fire. Stark was nowhere to be seen, so he was probably being tailed by Chitauri in the air. As my eyes focused on the ground, I noticed Cap, Natasha, and someone vaguely familiar. I gestured to them to Thor.

We took a few steps running start before launching ourselves in the air to join the trio. Thor called lightning with his hammer, electrocuting all Chitauri on the ground before we made stumbled landings. I nearly dropped to my knees, my vision wobbled slightly. From the corner of my eye, I saw Thor having to support himself against an overturned cab.

Cap, Natasha, and Agent Barton it looked like, acknowledged our arrival. Keeping close to Thor's side, we ambled over to the trio. I noticed the three eyed me warily, like I would cross the space between us and try and kill them on the spot.

"She on our side?" Agent Barton asked, ready to nock an arrow on his bow. I had to say, he and Natasha looked like total badasses. Todd taught me a few swear words during my first year here in New York. I think I learned all of them in less than a year thanks to him.