18. Parting Ways

"Hey, hey."

I swatted at whoever was trying to get me awake.

"Come on, Blondie. We have to get going soon. Up and at 'em."

"Give me another day," I growled.

"Don't make me pull you off this couch." It was Stark all right; I could hear the immaturity in his tone.

"Try it, and I will set you on fire. Hey!" My fingers dug into the couch as Stark grabbed a hold of my legs. Keeping my eyes closed, I fought to stay on the couch.

"Geez, you're rock solid."

"I'm much stronger than you, remember?"

"You can sleep at your own place for as long as you want!"

"Get off me, Stark!" To threaten him more, I ignited a hand of mine and lashed out behind me.

I screamed as chilling water splashed me, dowsing my flame. I rolled off the couch, damp in some areas. My jaw locked at seeing Stark with a small bucket in his hands. Though he looked triumphant, I saw a hint of fear in his brown eyes.

"You know, it's not smart to piss off someone who can burn your place to the ground," I spat. "You're lucky I like you, Stark."

"You gave me no choice."

"I thought you enjoyed having company at the tower? Why were you so rude?"

"I wouldn't have had to be had you decided to get up when I was being nice about it. Now come on, we've got meet the others really soon. Get dressed."

"In what?"

"Pepper's coming up with your clothes. Meet me outside when you're ready."

I wanted my eyes to pierce through his back as he left. What an irritating alarm clock. I couldn't imagine dealing with that every day. Stark could be an adult, but he was still a child inside.

While I waited for Pepper to deliver my clothes, I stood outside, gazing at the damage from yesterday. It wasn't just firefighters who were in on the cleaning, civilians helped too. I wondered who saw any of the Avengers, or even me. Stark has to have a TV here somewhere.

I went back inside to find a nice, thin TV hanging on one of the walls. I found what looked to be the remote for it and found the button that turned it on.

The first channel it was on was still covering the aftermath of the battle yesterday. Each major station I flipped through covered the same thing. I absentmindedly gnawed on the inside of my cheek, watching as a reporter gave a recap of the events that happened.

No reporter could retell what went on like the Avengers and I could. We fought in that mess; we could tell the story the best. I was surprised reporters weren't hounding Stark's place, dying to question him about yesterday. Every major news station seemed only focused on interviewing witnesses.

Some even captured footage of the fighting. Some was crappy quality, other footage looked pretty clean.

"It's not going to die down for a while."

I looked to my left to see Pepper with a stack of clothes in her arms. She was a pretty girl; she gave off an intelligent air. Her hair was an unusual orange, her face made me assume she was innocent. How Stark managed to find and keep a girl amazed me. I assumed he was a player—another slang Todd taught me during my year here on Earth.