14. War of the Worlds

Enough of this, I thought sourly as the memory ended. No matter how much effort is put into trying to break this hold, nothing can.

While I was having a battle with myself, a loud whirring noise from above sounded. The portal. It's beginning. I forced the pain away as I heard firing above me. No doubt it was Stark trying to take out all of the Chitauri. Now I could finally see what the creatures looked like. One man in a suit was no matter for aliens from another world. I saw blurs of Chitauri fly on speeders, blasting the sight down below. People fled, screaming at the top of their lungs. Chaos at its finest, and it's only just begun. Cars exploded, tossed upside down by the impact.

I heard the faint roar of Stark's suit as he supposedly led some Chitauri away from his precious building. As I watched the madness begin, the madness in my head was lessening. To divert me more away from my pain, I heard Loki grunt. He used the scepter to get on his feet.

"Again?" he growled, limping towards me. "I grow tired of doing this." He tried to reach towards me, but I slapped him away.

"I got it under control!" I snapped, rubbing my temples. "I can manage it."

"Can you really?"

"Loki, just because I am on your side does not mean that I obey your command."

"Where would you get that ridiculous impression?"

"I am your ally, not your slave. Piss me off enough and I will hurt you."

He chuckled tiredly. "Only words, Kiara. There's no real threat behind them. Come, let's get a better view. Do you need a crutch?" He asked this mockingly.

"I can walk just fine." I swatted him away.

Loki headed out the way Stark had originally entered his building from, with me in tow. Ugh, my head. If this wasn't solved, if one side didn't obtain complete dominance over the other, it wasn't going to end well. I was lucky to keep Loki away from me; I wasn't up for another poke in the heart with the scepter.

Focus! There is a breach somewhere, that's just the start! the real me crowed. I shook my head vigorously, trying to shut her up. It all starts with a crack. He can't win!

Hush, I snarled. You are not in control here, I am.

No, Loki is. This isn't you...or me. Either way, you aren't thinking on your own!

I noticed Loki had morphed his clothes into Asgardian battle attire—helmet included. He stood almost towards the edge, watching his work take place.

Attack him! Do it now, the real me demanded.

I will put an end to you if you don't shut up.

The only way to do it is to kill me...or us. This mind control business is strange.

Destroying the body can be avoided; all I have to do is shove you out for good.

Go ahead; it'll be a battle that you'll lose.

Like a switch, I flicked off the other voice in my head.

"Imagine this around the world, Kiara!" Loki murmured. "The humans learning their place..."

"I'll picture it better once it's done." I rubbed my forehead. Loki had his back to me, so he didn't see my battle continuing.