8. Separating Truths from Lies

Loki's mental map didn't help much. I couldn't tell you how many times I made wrong turns. At one point, I found myself heading back towards the bridge area. I'd mulled over asking for directions, but I didn't want anyone else to suspect something.

I mentally prepared myself for the confrontation. This wasn't going to be like the one we had a few hours ago. Glass would separate us. It would be good for Loki. Should he say something to upset me, the glass would be the only thing that could protect him.

After what seemed like hours of endless searching, I found the vaguely familiar door. I pressed a button, letting it slide open before me.

I stepped into the room. There were no guards posted, I guess there wasn't need for any with all the hidden cameras that I was sure were hanging around. There weren't many other entrances to this cell, possibly one other.

I took in the vastness of Loki's cell. It didn't look comfortable in the least, but it certainly would be perfect for a prisoner who despised small spaces.

And there he was, the man behind all this chaos. He paced calmly in the cell, looking absolutely bored. He stopped when he noticed I had arrived.

The smallest smile on his face made my skin crawl. I can't try seduction, not with him. I'll have to trick him with words. Gods, this is not going to be easy.

"I'm guessing I was summoned to relieve you of your boredom?" I drawled.

"Partially. We never finished our discussion."

"There wasn't much left to discuss." I was a few feet away from the glass.

"You got away so easily?"

"I'm sure someone will see through the lie soon enough. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was listening in right now through the camera or the other side of the door." I flicked a thumb behind me. "Regardless, I bought enough time to finish our conversation. What do you want?"

"To give you an ultimatum."

"That's not going to happen." I walked closer to the cage. "I chose my side ages ago."

"You've clearly chosen wrong. You think you can trust them?"

"I trust them a hell of a lot more than I do you right now."

He shook his head. "Oh, Kiara, you foolish girl. You're oblivious."

"I'm oblivious?"

"Yes."

"You're one to talk."

"You do not see the real reason why you are here."

"I'm here to help stop you from destroying Earth." My hands fell onto my hips.

"That is exactly what they want you to believe; you are too blind to see their true motive."

"I don't understand."

"You wouldn't, not unless you understood their minds."

"This is a ploy. You're wasting my time." I spun on my heels and began to leave.

"You are only a tool to them, nothing more."

I stopped in my tracks, not turning around. "You lie."

"Oh, really? You have said it yourself; you were not on the original list. So why bring you here?"