five

five

I wake up to the sound of my phone chirping next to me and sunlight streaming in my window. I was only working from noon till 6 today so I had plenty of time to take a shower.

I take a long shower and do some light makeup. I put on my navy work shirt and a pair of light blue skinny jeans and put my tall tan boots near my apartment entry way.  I make myself some grilled cheese and eggs as a brunch and slowly eat it. My calendar was still pinging at me. I don’t even know why I put it as an event in my calendar. Tomorrow was October 5th, the worst day of the year. I sigh and put the rest of my food on the counter next to the sink. I wasn’t so hungry anymore.

I sigh. I wasn’t supposed to let myself get upset over it again this year. I’m supposed to celebrate or something but how am I supposed to celebrate something that crushed my world.

I watch T.V. until 11:15 then I grab my bag, put my boots on and head out the door.

I had called for a cab and sat patiently for it to arrive on the front concrete steps on my building.

I don’t even notice Calum walking over to me until he says my name.

“Hey Julia.”

I jump alittle.

“Oh. Hi.”

“Do you mind if we share a cab I forgot to call ahead.”

“Um why don’t you just take the bus?”

“I’ll split cab fare.”

I pick at my finger nails for a second then look up at him. He hovered over me, a blue beanie covering some of his dark hair.

I finally shrug and give a sigh.

“Okay fine.”

He gives me a smile and sits down next to me.

“So I have a confession to make.”

“Is it that you’re a pervert?”

“No.”

“Hm.”

Calum looks at his feet.

“I know exactly who you are. And it’s hard for me to understand why someone with so much original personality and a free spirit wants to box herself up and be the cookie cutter girl everyone wants her to be. And I have to admit after leaving your apartment last night it was all I kept thinking about.”

He looks at me dead on and I look down the street.

“I think the cab will be here soon. Did you get lunch? We can stop somewhere on the way.”

“Julia I saw you dancing around your kitchen last night. You looked so care free.”

“Can you please stop Calum you weren’t supposed to see that.”

“But why?”

I just shake my head.

He sighs and shoves his hands in his pockets.

“Why couldn’t you catch a ride with Luke or one of your other little friends? You seem pretty popular around here already.”

Calum gives a short laugh. “They are not my friends.”

“So many people like you isn’t it obvious. You’re a likeable person, Calum. I honestly think I’m the only one who hates you in this world.”

“I’m not likeable you don’t even know me.”

“A bit of a hypocrite aren’t you?”

Calum doesn’t say anything. He knows I’m right.

A cab pulls up along the curb and me and Calum both climb in.

“I don’t have any friends because I don’t want any friends.” He finally says quietly. I buckle my seat belt and pull a strand of blonde hair behind my ear.

“Hi Franklin. You know where!” I say in a perky tone to my usual driver. I close the plastic window shut and turn to face Calum.

“But everyone at the store is basically in love with you and you have a bunch of guys just coming over to your new house. You’ve been here, what a day?”

“I’ve actually lived here for about a year I just moved across town.”

“Then how do you not have any friends?”

Calum looks out the window.

“I don’t like people.”

I sigh. Geez, I can’t figure this guy out.

“If you don’t like people why do you live in the city?”

Calum thinks about this for a moment then smiles to himself.

“Everyone needs a little change of scenery now and then. I like this one.”

I sit back. I guess that’s why I’m here too. I’ve always loved the vibe and area of New York.

Here is this huge city, surrounded by suburbs then farm land just letting people run it. Our dream was to graduate together and move to New York City to start our own restaurant together. Maybe that’s why I moved here. To remember “the dream”.

I shake away the thoughts. I didn’t want to cry.

Our cab leaves us outside Starbucks. We had 15 minutes till our shifts so we go inside for some coffee.

“So,” I say once we’re in line. “If you don’t like people then why do you talk to me?”

Calum just shrugs. “I’m beginning to tolerate you.”

I laugh. “Gee thanks.”

Calum smiles. “Well I guess I need to start learning how to have friends.”

I nod.

“So do you want to be my friend?” He asks me.

I start laughing again. “Really? You sound like you’re in 2nd grade!”

“I told you J, I don’t know what I’m doing!”

I just shake my head.

“Sure, let’s just be loners together.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol cheesey for the title whoop

vote

comment 

talk to me

follow me

follow @exluke and @britt_oshea bc i love them and they have great stories so check them out

i love you all thank you so much for 1k on Xx, Bandana Boy my other story make sure you check that out too!

//s