eight

eight

"Jules get you're a$$ down here, these boxes aren't gonna unpack themselves!" Kolby yells from outside our new apartment. I set down my box of kitchen supplies and head back downstairs to help Kolb bring up more boxes. We'd been friends since freshman year and dorm roommates since sophomore year so when junior year hit we decided to rent our own off campus apartment. We both majored in culinary arts and worked at outback steakhouse so it made sense. That and the fact that we were practically family.

We finish taking all the boxes upstairs and we collapse on fresh carpet floor of the small living room.

"Hey Jules..."

I hear Kolby say to me softly.

"Yeah." I say closing my eyes. We'd been unpacking and carrying up boxes all day.

"Welcome home."

I smile to myself.

I hear Kolby get up and walk into the kitchen.

She digs through a box then moves back next to me and sits on the ground with a thud.

I squint one eye at her.

"Champagne?" She asks and holds up a bottle and two glasses. I sit up. Kolby pours the bubbly drink in both glasses and hands one to me.

"To new beginnings and a great junior year." She says and we clink our glasses.

"You know there's a pool at Dani and Victorias' house we could go and hang out tonight."

I say. Kolby doesn't say anything and takes a sip.

"Common Kolb I know you don't like to swim but at least come and hang out."

"Okay, Jules listen... it's not that I don't like to swim it's that... that I can't..." I try and process that me, junior class swim team captain was best friends with someone who can't swim.

"...Ok..." is all I can utter. "Well... okay..."

Kolby looks at me like she might cry.

"That's okay, maybe I'll teach you sometime... I can't believe you didn't even tell me though..."

"Well its embarrassing!" I laugh at her.

"Yeah well... don't worry I'll teach you someday."

I wake up as my alarm chimes in my ear. 7:30 am.

I walk into the bathroom and strip out of my clothes. I turn on the shower and get in after it heats up.

Today is the day. I let the water rinse over me as a few tears slip out of my eyes.

I try and push away the negative thoughts and make a list in my head that I need to do.

- Wear rose dress (**shown at the top of the page :)**)

- Make "the breakfast"

- Make a cake

- Go to homeless shelter and donate cake

- Go to time square

- Buy flowers

- Have rooftop lunch

- Make the signature dish

- Walk through central park

- Get Chinese food for dinner

- Champagne on the roof

- Watch all the home alone movies

After my shower I write down my list and walk over to my closet.

I unzip the bag that contained my rose dress, the one that was her favorite. I always have it specially dry cleaned for today. I sit at my mirror and slowly do my makeup. Soft shadow and a small wing with my eyeliner. I add some blush and a bold red lip. She always lived bold.

I do my hair in big curls and pin some of it back.

I walk into the kitchen and open the drawer where I keep my aprons. I dig through the piles and pull out my oldest one. I run my fingers over the embroidery.

The words "J and K senior class bake off" were in scrolly neon pink letters.

I give a deep shaky breath and tie the apron around me. I proceed and carefully make the perfect omelet and hash browns. I squeeze my own orange juice and take a seat at my table.

I think over my plans for the day again as I eat then shift to eating on the couch and look at the skyline. So gorgeous.

"Just like we imagined..." I murmur to myself and sink back into the sofa.

I finally get back up and start making the cake. 3 layer strawberry cake with white chocolate filling and a dark chocolate frosting. I take 2 hours slaving over a cake made of scratch. I finish the cake with a shaky hand and stand back to admire it. Still quivering I slowly wash my hands in the sink. I start crying again.

I wanted her here to help me. She would have made the past 2 hours the best hours of my life not the longest. How much longer can I take of this day? I take a deep breath and dry my hands off. I go back to my closet and grab my heavier, long gray coat and some knee high gray socks and zip up my brown riding boots. I grab my favorite bag, a soft pink over the shoulder bag she gave me for my birthday. I look in the mirror before I go and give myself an internal pep talk.

Today is her day. You will do what you need to do to remember and respect and then you can save the moping for another day.

I turn off all the lights in my apartment and head out into the big apple.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean i think we know who "She/Her" is and if you don't thats okay bc more fun for me //s