nine

nine 

(Woah double update)

I hold the cake with both hands and walk away from the apartments as fast as I can hoping Calum wasn’t home. I wasn’t in the mood to see him.

About 3 blocks away from me and the city is a little homeless shelter that I always made a cake for on this specific day.

I walk in to the office entrance and see the director, Momma Wellow sitting in her chair.

“Julia! So good to see you darlin’ is this the cake for this year? You’ve really out done yourself!” She says. I give a small smile and nod. “Yes, it is. Strawberry with white filling and chocolate outside. Three layers.”

She gives me a warm smile back. “Thank you so much hon! If you ever need anything call me okay?”

“Okay.” I say and walk back out.

“J!” I hear a familiar voice call out.

I look over and see Calum prancing towards me. Oh Geez.

“Are you following me or something?” I ask and give him a weird look.

“No… well I mean yes but you weren’t heading into the city. I got curious.”

“mmhmm.” I mumble and start walking away.

“Are you going to the city now?” He asks. He had his hair in a quiff which was different then yesterday.

“Yes. Your hair is different.” I reply.

“Yeah it is – where are you headed I’m on my way to work.”

“I’m taking the subway to time square.”

“Really? Wow such a tourist J, mind if I join you?”

“Yes.”

“Yes?”

“As in don’t join me go to work.” I say and walk abit faster.

“Oh.”

Calum’s face drops a little but I ignore it. Today wasn’t about making him happy.

“Well I’m coming to time square with you.” He says stubbornly.

“No. Stop. I told you, today I want to be alone okay?”

“Are you sad or something?” He asks.

“Why do you say that?” I ask, stopping and turning to face him.

He stops too.

“Because you keep making this face like…” Calum pulls his bottom lip down and makes his eyes big, looking like a pouting lost puppy.

I laugh.

“Okay I do not look like that!” I say, still laughing.

“Finally!” Calum says loudly. “A positive reaction from my charming and humorous personality!” He says and looks at me, giving me a cheesy wink.

I laugh again. “If that’s how you want to describe it…”

Calum and I continue walking to the subway and get on together.

“I haven’t been on the subway yet…” He says as we sit smushed by strangers as it begins to pull away. I almost snort.

“You’re gonna HATE it!”  He gives a small laugh but I could tell he’s concerned. The rest of the ride was quiet between us because I was somewhere else but Calum stayed in the moment.

We get off the subway and follow the flow of people up to the street and into Time Square.

Everything about it was beautiful. All the lights and billboards. All the aspiring musicians, magicians, the street performers. The tourists, the culture. Everyone has a story and time square is where you can forget your story and stay in the moment.

I just stand there and look at everything until I realize Calums staring at me.

“What are you thinking about?” He asks me.

“Everything…” I shrug and walk over to a flower vender and get a dozen tulips.

“What are the flowers for?” Calum asks.

“Look, I’ll let you hang out with me only if you promise not to ask questions okay?”

“Okay…” He says and I start walking back to the subway.

“Uh where are you going?”

“We’re leaving… and I told you no questions.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so the day is going to be broken up into about 4 or 5 chapters so brace yourself //s