Chapter 5: Profiles thunderstorms and cliffhangers

After a long flight to California from Quantico, the team was more than ready to crash like their youngest. Reid had fallen asleep while they were coming up with a profile. When they got to the station the others went ahead to set up while Hotch went to wake his sleeping charge.

"Spencer. Spencer, come on buddy time to get up." Hotch whispered gently shaking Reid's shoulder. Reid blinked awake. Fisting sleepily, he let Hotch help him out of his car seat. He realized he was the station. Taking a tiny hand in his, Hotch led his charge inside. The officers stared at them. The rumours were true. An FBI agent now 2 years of age still working. They just couldn't believe it. Feeling his charge tremble he scooped him up and Reid buried his face in his surrogate shoulder. Hotch carried him to the conference and sat him down on the floor so he could begin his geographical profile. Hotch and Morgan left to interview the escaped teens, JJ and Emily went to old dump sites, and Rossi stayed behind with Reid. Lighting suddenly flashed. It was so bright Rossi didn't see Reid hide under the table.

Strauss was right, the escaped teens didn't look like themselves. They like Reid were different ages. "What happened to you and what can you tell us about your attacker?" Hotch asked. One of the boys stood up and told them they were kidnapped from school. Their attacker blindfolded them and took them to his lab. They figured he was a scientist of some sort and drugged them with a drug that made them different ages. The same happened with their youngest. They also told them that the UnSub was tall roughly 6'5, well built, and was 36 but looked like he was 20. He gave himself the drug. He called it the Fountain of Youth. They also heard a first name but no last, his was Maddex. Hotch and Morgan thanked them and left. They knew what happened to Reid, but the new questions were, how long was he going to be 2? and was there an antidote for this? They decided to make their way back to the station.

Emily and JJ were on their way back too. They were upset. It started to downpour when they got to the dump site.

"Shhh kiddo. Hey now, I've got you. You're alright." Rossi said trying to calm the tiny agent in his arms. Reid didn't like lighting and thunder, it reminded him of his abusive drunk father. Rossi was rubbing his back and rocking him, it calmed Reid until the power went. Rossi cursed. He knew of his charge's fear of the dark. Quickly he got a flashlight and turned it on before Reid had a panic attack. "That better sport?" He asked gently. Getting a slight nod, Rossi relaxed a little and sat back in his chair and continued to rock his charge.

Reid sniffled and looked at his guardian. "I'm sowwy Wossi. I don't mean to be a bofew." He said. Looking at his charge slightly shocked, he shook his head and told him "Reid you are in no way a bother or burden. You are family and as such we look out for each other. We care about you short stuff, and I know you feel the same. Now it's okay to be scared. Everyone's afraid of something and our biggest fear as a family is losing our youngest. Long story short kid, you love us and we love you. Simple as that." Reid looked at him. Rossi hit the nail on the head. Reid smiled and hugged the senior SSA. Rossi too smiled and returned the hug. After that, the team popped in with lunch in their arms. Good timing too. It was Reid's lunch time and after was his naptime. They gathered candles to brighten up the room, plus the flashlight batteries were wearing out. So they ate their lunch in candlelight, and Rossi got Spencer ready for his nap.

"Do you want me to take him, Dave?" Hotch asked.

"Nope. I got it. You start working, Garcia can fill in for Spencer while he naps." Rossi told him sternly. Rossi got Ried ready for his nap and laid him on the couch in their conference room tucking him in. Rossi carded a hand through Reid's soft locks and told him to sleep well. The rest of the team smiled at the interaction. Reid being tiny was becoming a blessing.

Hours went by and still no UnSub. Morgan glanced over at his little brother and looked at his watch. It was way past his dinner time and getting closer to his bedtime. Morgan packed up his things and told Hotch he was taking Reid back to the hotel to feed him and get him to bed. Hotch looked at his watch and nodded and told Morgan sternly but gently that he'd be there soon and to be careful. The storm outside was still pretty bad. Morgan nodded and collected his little brother despite his protests to stay and work.

Morgan was driving cautiously and taking the long way back to the hotel. He glanced at his baby brother and he looked dangerously close to falling asleep. He'd pick the pace but he gave Hotch his word he'd be careful.

Little did they know the UnSub was waiting for them! At the right moment, he sped out of the alleyway he was hiding in and smashed into the SUV!

The last thing Morgan and Reid heard were distant sirens and their world went black.