Chapter 10: An Unpleasent Reunion

Hotch carried a teary-eyed and red-faced Reid into the BAU. Reid had a few nightmares last night and one on the way to the BAU. They got to Garcia's office and went inside where she was waiting. She saw the tears running down the toddler's face.

"Oh, my sweet baby! What's wrong?" Garcia asked in mother mode.

"He had a few nightmares last night and one on the way here," Hotch explained.

"Oh, baby boy. I think I have something that may cheer you right up." She said digging in her bag. She pulled out the stuffed animal she made.

"Here you are my snuggle bunny." She cooed handing the purple dog to Reid.

Reid lifted his head and accepted the dog. He reached out for her, and she took him from Hotch. Reid gave Garcia a small peck on the cheek.

"Fant you Gawtia." He said his voice still shaky.

"You're absolutely welcome." She said. She turned to Hotch whose gaze never the toddler.

"Bossman. Reid and I are gonna be fine you know, so get to your office before the cutthroat bitch named Strauss hunts you down."

"Alright. But if he has any more nightmares come get me. Try to get him to sleep, he needs it. Since his paperwork is caught up he can sleep all day." He told her. She nodded. Getting Reid to sleep after a nightmare was going to be tough.

After assuring her boss Reid was gonna be okay, Hotch kissed Reid's forehead and told him he'd be back later to check on him. With that Hotch left and Garcia looked at her charge. Stray tears still ran down his own cheek. She sat him down and wiped the tears away, she smiled at him. He smiled back around his thumb. She scooped him back up and began rocking him. She sang a small lullaby hoping he'd fall asleep.

Meanwhile in the bullpen. (A/N: I had to do that.)

Hotch slowly made his way into his office. Emily and Morgan caught the concern look in his eye. They looked at each other and figured something was wrong with their youngest. They got up and headed to Garcia's office. They knocked softly and entered. They saw Garcia trying to get the exhausted toddler to sleep. She turned to them and sighed. Morgan saw his baby brother's were red and puffy. He sat down next to Garcia. Emily did the same.

"Hey, Pretty Boy." Said Morgan softly. Reid looked at him.

"Hi," Reid said quietly.

Garcia told them about Reid's nightmare-filled night. They all sighed. Just then a light bulb popped over Emily's head. Since she and Morgan finished the work they needed she suggested they take Reid for a small drive, take him to a park. Let him unwind and calm down. Distract him so he'll sleep. They all agreed and headed out.

Walking out into the bullpen they saw Hotch talking to someone. It looked like Gideon.

"No, hell no. What's he doing here?" Morgan growled.

"You got me. Come on, we have a more important matter to attend to." Emily said pointing to Reid. Morgan's expression softened and he ran his hand through his brother's soft locks.

"I'll go tell Hotch we're leaving. You guys get Reid settled in the SUV." Morgan said.

With that, they separated. Emily and Garcia took Reid to the parking deck and got him settled in the car seat. Emily smiled when she saw the dog.

"That's a nice dog you got there buddy." She said smiling. Reid smiled and nodded.

"Gawtia made it fow me." He said happily hugging his new friend.

The two girls smiled. Garcia was glad the toddler liked his dog.

Morgan knocked on the door and entered. Sending a small glare Gideon's way.

"Hey, Hotch. Garcia, Emily, and I are taking Reid out. We're all finished with the work that needed to be done." Morgan told him.

"Alright. Since your work is finished, you don't need to come back. You can take Reid home." He said. Morgan got what Hotch was saying.

"Wait. Before you leave, I want to see Reid." Gideon said.

"No can do." That was what Morgan said when he walked out the door.

Gideon didn't feel like continuing his argument with Hotch, so he left. Hotch threatened that if he followed them he would have no problem arresting him. Gideon didn't say anything and left angrily. Little did Hotch know Gideon was the one watching them last night.

Several hours later Hotch picked up Reid from Morgan's house. Hotch asked what they did and Morgan told him they took Reid to the park to let him run around, had lunch, and got him to sleep. Hotch smiled and picked up the still-sleeping agent. Thumb in his mouth, his dog in his other arm. Hotch thanked Morgan for taking care of him and left.

Hotch woke Reid long enough to get him to eat dinner and bathe him. Then Reid remembered seeing Gideon.

"What did G'don want?" He asked softly. Hotch scowled.

"He wanted you. He heard about you being a toddler and thought it was too dangerous for you to be working. So he wanted to take you away from us." Hotch said.

"You won't let him. Will you?" Reid asked.

"No. You're not going anywhere. If he wants that badly he can pry you from our dead hands." Hotch growled.

Reid sighed. He should've known. Just then Gideon walked in. Hotch forgot he still had a key. Hotch grabbed his gun.

"No need for that now. Spencer, come with me now." Gideon said.

"No." He said.

"Spencer you're too young to work for the BAU now. I don't want you to get hurt or killed. Now come on. We can start over now. Be father and son for real." He said.

Reid didn't believe that. Gideon abandoned him. Like his pathetic excuse of a father.

"No! No no no no no! You abandoned me like William! And you want to stawt ovew. I don't fint so!" Reid shouted.

Gideon tried to reach for him but Hotch was quick and a hit. The two men fought until Gideon left. Hotch got up and brushed himself off. He turned and Reid was nowhere to be seen. Hotch shouted for him, and Reid came out of his hiding place. Hotch saw tears running down his cheek.

"H-hotch." The toddler cried raising his arms. Hotch scooped up the toddler and cradled him to his chest, thanking God he was safe.

"I'm sowwy Hotch." Reid sobbed.

"Reid look at me," Hotch said sternly, Reid looked up a his surrogate father. "None of this is your fault. Got me? If you were with Morgan, or Rossi, or anyone else this still could have happened. But it's in no way your fault. Now let's get to bed." He said.

They laid down and Hotch rubbed Reids back and hummed him to sleep. When he was asleep Hotch got out of bed and checked all the doors and windows, set the alarm, and grabbed his guns. Once he felt secure enough he layed back down next to his charge. Reid snuggled in closer. Hotch smiled, wrapping his arms around him protectively and fell asleep.

It wasn't over. Gideon will take his Spencer, his son away from the nightmare that is the BAU. But not now. Tomorrow however was a brand new day.