Chapter 9: Back to work and Someone's watching

When Reid woke up the next morning, he realized he wasn't at the hotel. He glanced around the room and the pictures of Hotch and Jack. He was at Hotch's house! But when did they get here? The last thing he remembered was watching a movie with Hotch. He was brought out of his thoughts when he smelled something good in the kitchen. He got out of bed and slowly walked down the stairs and tottled into the kitchen.

Hotch heard the sound of little feet. He turned to find Reid coming in. He turned and scooped up the toddler and placed him in the booster seat. He turned his attention back to the stove so he could avoid the puppy look.

"Spencer. When you wake up you need to call me. I don't want falling down the stairs and re-breaking your arm. Got me?" He asked sternly but gently.

"Yes siw. I'm sowwy." Reid said.

"It's alright, I just don't want you falling," Hotch said. He placed a plate in front of him. "Eat. We need to get you bathed and dressed if we're gonna get to work on time."

Reid put two and two together. Strauss must've called last night and they flew home while he was sleeping. Hotch glanced at his charge and saw the gears in his overactive mind turning. Once Reid was finished Hotch carried him upstairs and gave him his bath. Bathed and dressed the two headed off to work. Glancing at his charge through the rearview mirror he saw the toddler was nervous.

"What's wrong son?" Hotch asked. Reid sighed and he continued to stare straight out the window.

"What if evewyone stawes at me again like at fhe tation? Or what if fey don't let me in tause I'm a 2 yeaw old? Only Trauss has seen me lite fis so far." The tiny agent questioned.

"Don't worry. Strauss has informed security of our situation. And as for the other agents, they won't see you much. You'll be working in Garcia's office for the time being." Hotch assured the toddler. Reid nodded. He'd rather work in an office than be stared at all day.

They made it through security with no hassle. Reid relaxed when they approached Garcia's office. Hotch knocked on the door.

"Enter mortal," Garcia called from the other side.

Hotch ushered Spencer in. Garcia turned and smiled at her boss and she beamed at her Junior G-man. She scooped him and gave him a hug. He hugged her back.

"He's all yours Garcia. Make sure he eats his lunch and takes his nap. After his nap he can have a small snack, um oh there's Children's Tylenol in his bag in case his arm hurts..." Hotch rattled off but was cut off.

"Bossman you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Junior G-man and I will be just fine, and if there's trouble we'll call you immediately. Promise." The bubbly tech told her boss. She couldn't help but smile at his overprotectiveness.

"Alright. Any sign of trouble call me. Behave, Spencer. I'll check on you later." Hotch said. He the toddler's forehead and left. Garcia's smile increased and she noticed Spencer's stitches were gone.

"I see your stitches are gone." She said settling the toddler in the seat next to her.

"Uh-huh. The doctow said fat since a weet went by my titches tould tome out." He told her.

"Wow. That's good. When do you get your cast off?" She asked beginning her work.

"Next weet." He told her smiling. Reid didn't like his cast much, but he did like Garcia's decorations.

She nodded and they got to work. Not an hour went by and the team was already checking on Spencer. Lunch was the same, and Reid didn't sleep well at naptime due to the door opening and closing every five minutes. Garcia got sick of it. Glancing at her exhausted Junior G-man she decided to lock the door. She sent an e-mail to everyone that her office is closed until her sweet baby got some sleep.

She scooped up the tiny agent, cradling him to her chest she hummed and rocked him to sleep. Once asleep she laid him down on the blankets and pillows she brought for him to sleep on. She smiled when saw his thumb in his mouth and he was sleeping peacefully. Though she thought something was missing. A stuffed animal! She and Reid had finished their work before lunch so she had time to make a stuffed animal. She got her crocheting needles and got to work.

Reid was cute when he first got up. He looked at Garcia and saw she was making something. Fisting his eyes, he got up and plopped in Garcia's lap. She looked down and smiled.

"Well hello there sweet baby. Did you have a nice nap?" She asked. She put away her needles while he wasn't looking.

"Uh-huh. Gawtia what awe you mating?" He asked.

"It's a surprise for my sweet baby boy." She said beaming.

Reid looked at her. A surprise for him? What was she making he wondered. She smiled knowing that he was trying to guess what she was making.

Back at Hotch's house, Hotch was trying to calm his youngest. A lightning storm knocked out the power.

"Shhh Spencer. It's alright buddy. I've got you. You're safe." Hotch soothed rocking the teary-eyed boy.

Lightning flashed and Spencer saw a figure outside. Startled he buried his face in his surrogate father's chest sobbing.

Hotch saw the whole action. He frowned what frightened his youngest? Other than the dark and lightning there was nothing else.

"H-hotch. Fe-fewe's someo-one out fewe." Reid stammered quietly.

Hotch looked outside. He didn't see anything. Although the car parked across from his house looked a little suspicious. Hotch's grip on his charge tightened. Someone was out there. It was Spencer's bedtime when the storm calmed. Hotch managed to rock his charge to sleep. He carried the sleeping boy upstairs, changed, and got in bed. Knowing Spencer would have a nightmare he slept with Hotch. Hotch closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Both were unaware of the figure watching them. Spencer was right. There's someone out there.