Chapter 17: Cheer up little one

Morgan carried a red face, teary eye Reid to their hotel room. Reid had predicted where the UnSub and the little girl was but they got there to late. The little girl was gone and now theUnSub was the hunt again. Reid blamed himself. He thought if he'd worked more and harder instead of falling asleep, or taking breaks like the adults wanted him too they could've made it.

Morgan sat in the rocking chair and settled Reid in his lap. Reid buried his face into Morgans chest. Morgan sighed and rubbed his back.

"You know kiddo, this was not your fault. Even if we got there the UnSub could've killed her anyway." He told the toddler.

Reid shook his head. "If I didn't tate my nap or bweaks we tould've saved hew."

Morgan gently lifted the the toddlers head so his eyes meet his.

"Reid, stop. You worked hard to find the girl. We just ran out of time. It won't happen this time. Plus you're 2 now, you to need to sleep. You're havin a hard time staying awake now." Morgan said.

Reid sighed. Morgan was right. His tiny body needed the sleep even now. He relaxed into Morgans embrace and closed his sleepy eyes. Morgan hummed to him and rocked until he was sure the tiny agent was sleeping peacefully.

Morgan laid him down and tucked him in. He placed Reids dog under his arm and smiled as Reid hugged it tight. Morgan sat at the table and began working again. He glanced at his charge once every few mintues.

After a few hours a knock on the door brought him out his thoughts. He looked through the peep hole.

"Hotch man, I thought you were at a consult." Morgan said.

"I was, but we finished early and I flew out here to help." He said glancing at the sleeping boy on the bed. "How's he doing?"

Morgan sighed and shook his head. He told Hotch how they were late saving the girl and Reid blaming himself. Hotch pinched the bridge of his nose. He knew Reid had a guilt trip a mile long. He was going to have a talk with the boy later. Hotch told Morgan he could go back to work and he'd watch Reid for awhile. Morgan opened his mouth to protest but the stern look on his bosses face told him otherwise. Morgan told him he'd be back if there was trouble. Getting one more glance at his baby brother he left. Hotch slowly sat on the bed next to the boy and began reading about their case.

A few hours later Reid woke up to the sound of humming. He glanced up and to his suprise it was Hotch he saw. He crawled into his surrogate fathers lap. Hotch looked down at his charge and smiled.

"Hi buddy. Have a nice nap?" He asked. Getting a nod he sighed and decided to have their talk now and get it over with.

After one stern talking too later. Hotch put Reid in his car seat and headed to the station. The others were happy to see there boss. Hotch sat Reid at his work place and the toddler got right back to work.

Reid and Garcia located the UnSub and the other raced off to catch him. They caught him and the little girl returned home with her parents. They interrogated the UnSub for what seemed like hours and they couldn't get anything out of him. They didn't see Reid going into the room. Reid climbed up onto the table and studied the UnSub. The UnSubs expression soften when he saw the toddler. He reached out and palmed the toddlers cheek.

"You remind me of my son. He was your age when he died. He had cancer in his eye. My wife was devistated, my daughter was too. One night they were coming home from a girls night out party when a driver who was high ran them off the highway. I was crushed. I began kidnapping hoping to fill the empty void in heart. But seeing you and the innocent look in your eyes like my son I realize that the void can be filled just not that way." The UnSub confessed. He palmed the toddlers cheek again was taken out of the room.

The team couldn't believe it. Reid didn't even need to speak. He got the UnSub to confess just by looking at him. Hotch rushed in and scooped up the toddler and cradled him to his chest. Hotch was worried that the UnSub would harm him. They walked out the room were the team was waiting. They hugged the their tiny charge thanking god he was ok.

Reid slept peacefully on the jet and on the car ride home. Hotch woke the toddler long enough to bathe and change him. After that Hotch tucked Reid in and kissed his forehead.

"Goodnight buddy. I'm really proud of you. You did well today." He whispered.

Reid mumbled a soft thanks and went back to sleep. Hotch smiled. He went to his room and got ready for bed. After that he snuggled in his covers. He was glad to be home.