Darling Patience

"Mark, calm down!" Joe took Mark firmly by the shoulders and shook him gently then waited patiently until he saw Mark's eyes regain their focus. "I got your messages and I've already got my crew looking for them. They're taking this serious, Mark.  I'm taking this seriously. They know the danger. We're going to get them back."

"How?" Mark said dully. "They had a head start and we don't know where they're heading."

"We've got some places we'll be checking. But Mark, I need you to think. Try and remember and conversations you've had, stuff you overheard, gossip, anything, that might help us. Little things, no matter how irrelevant you think they may be,  might hold valuable clues. Come on, let's go get coffee and you start talking.." Joe gently led Mark away."We'll get them back" he reiterated.

Patience had lost track of the changes in vehicles they had made and none of the passing surroundings sparked any sense of recognition for her. Niall lay quiet, only a soft whimper coming from time to time when he was moved. At least her mom was keeping his pain medication topped up so he was as comfortable as possible. Patience did worry if they were drugging him with anything else when she saw him snuggle his Giraffe stuffie, the thumb of his free hand creeping into his mouth. Liam gently pulled it out but gave up after Niall constantly replaced it back in his mouth. Patience leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes. She felt sick and exhausted, fearful about what was about to happen. Every time she tried to talk to her Mom, the woman just replied that they'd talk later. She sighed and allowed exhaustion to take over. Her eyes shut and she was soon deeply asleep.

When Patience opened her eyes, it was to find herself laying on a big bed. Niall was next to her, still unconscious. Someone, probably her mom, had set up an iV drip for him. She saw with horror, that he'd been changed and was now wearing a Tshirt and diaper. She quickly looked down at her own clothing, relieved to find she was still dressed in her hospital scrubs. She looked back at Niall who was cuddling his stuffie while a paci bobbed gently in his mouth. She looked around the room. They were alone. Perhaps she could escape and get help? Pushing herself carefully off the bed, she checked the windows...barred..and they were several floors up. She checked the door next, pushing down the handle gently then pulling it. It wouldn't budge. They were locked in! Tears of frustration filled her eyes. She heard the sound of approaching footsteps  and muffled voices so she  hurriedly threw herself back on the bed and lay there pretending to be asleep

"Patience?" She heard her mother's voice speak, barely above a whisper. "Are you awake?" Patience pushed herself up and stared at her mother, noting Louis stood behind her.

" Mom, why are you doing this. Haven't you messed our lives up enough? " Patience asked, her voice tearful. She shuffled back against the headboard as her mother and Louis moved closed. Something in their manner scared her even more.

"Patience, you have to trust us. We're doing this because we love you. Hold her, Louis" Doctor Andrews commanded and Louis suddenly lunged and grabbed Patience tightly. Despite her struggles, he was so much stronger and she was held fast as her mother plunged a needle into her arm. Patience blinked in shock then her world slipped into darkness. "Let's get this done," the doctor said and Louis gently picked Patience up and carried her from the room. Doctor Andrews watched them go then turned her attention to Niall, checking his iV. Once that was done, she swiftly changed his wet diaper then covered him warmly before leaving the room herself. She had other work to do and time was of the essence.

Detective Joe Marks stood with other police officers and surveyed the burnt-out ambulance that had been used to kidnap Niall and Patience. It was obvious that another vehicle and been waiting for the transfer over. It probably won't tell us anything but get forensics onto this. Even the smallest clue will help. Joe turned away and got into his car. They'd got a BOLO for the missing people but right now he was wondering how much that would help. Unless Mark was able to come up with any ideas, they could be anywhere. By now they were probably in another State. He banged his head against his steering wheel. If only he had been quicker or done things in a different order. He'd messed up, he thought. He should have gone straight to the hospital as soon as he'd got Mark's text. Instead, he'd decided to start setting up the capture. It had gone wrong from that moment on. He had to get them back. Sighing he straightened up and started the car. He'd beat himself up over it later. First, he had to find them and get them back safely. He drove away.

Mark sat staring into space as he racked his brain for any memory that might help but, so far, nothing was coming to him. He knew all the families from the community were extremely wealthy, especially Simon Cowell, the Community leader. He knew Simon, along with several others of his type, had set up similar communities all over the States. There was one in Montana, he thought. One in Virginia. Would they have been taken there, he asked himself? He had no idea of their exact locations and knew they'd be very well hidden, but at least it was somewhere to start, wasn't it? He picked up his phone and called Joe.

"Thanks, Mark. That could be very helpful.........yeah, you too. I'll get back to you as soon as I know something positive........OK, bye." Joe terminated the call. It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack but they had to start somewhere. And it looked like this was the only possible lead they had right now."

They had changed vehicles at regular intervals, crisscrossing the State, going into other States, doing everything they could to muddy the waters. Simon doubted that the authorities had any idea where this particular cabin was located. It was the height of luxury and so well hidden that it would be impossible to spot from the air and the forest location was so dense that it was doubtful that anyone had even thought that there could be a dwelling located within its depths. The cabin was well stocked with supplies and it's occupants could stay out of sight indefinitely. They even had their own operating theatre should any medical emergencies arise. Simon smirked to himself, he loved challenging authority.

Niall slowly emerged from his sleep. The pain medication had made him feel sluggish and he felt very nauseous into the bargain. He groaned and put his hand over his tender stomach as the bile rose in his throat, making him push himself up into a sitting position. He started to lean over the side of the bed when, suddenly, an arm went around him and a bowl was placed under his chin, catching the vomit that erupted from his mouth. "There, there sweetie" a familiar voice cooed."You'll feel better soon." After a few more rounds of being sick, Niall straightened up and found himself being laid back down gently. He stared up into Liam's face. In a panic, he then looked around the room. He wasn't in the hospital. He recognized nothing but the man sat on the side of his bed. The penny dropped. He was back in his own personal h*ll.

"Now sweetie, Daddy is going to get you a nice bottle. Would you like Baba to come and cuddle with you while I do it? He's missed cuddling with his baby" Liam said in a sickly sweet voice.

"No!' Niall screamed. "You sick ba$%ard. Let me go!" He then stopped in horror before adding "Where am I?"

"You don't need to worry about anything anymore, baby. Daddy and Baba will take care of you. Now" he turned towards the opening door "here's Baba. Be good for him, won't you." Liam stood up and kissed Zayn as he passed him to leave the room. Zayn went toward Niall and, despite Niall's pathetically weak struggles, picked him up carefully, mindful of his damaged knee and cuddled him into his chest.

"Baba missed his little boy" Zayn murmured as Niall continued to struggle in his arms. "But Baba will punish his baby if he doesn't behave. We don't want that now, do we?" His voice was soft, the tone gentle, but Niall was all too aware of the threat it contained. He lay still. He had to think. He had to get away from here. Surely it was now known he'd been kidnapped and they were looking for him. Think, he told himself, think!. Liam reentered the room and passed a bottle to Zayn who held it against Niall's lips. Niall resisted initially but one glance at Zayn's face had him complying. He sucked gingerly as his mind tryed to plan. Zayn was slowly rocking him and singing:

"Snowflake, my pretty little snowflake......"

Niall could feel himself falling even though he tried to resist it. Slowly he found himself sliding further down into his headspace and, when Liam leaned across Zayn and tucked Niall's stuffie into his arms, Niall became the tiny baby they wanted. Both Liam and Zayn cooed at the sight. Their baby was back with them and they'd move heaven and earth to keep him this time.

Patience woke up with a bad headache and feeling very sick. Pushing herself up, she looked around the room trying to take in her surroundings. She had no idea where she was but she felt sick. There was a glass of water on the table next to her bed and she grabbed it eagerly and drank deeply. It was only then she noticed the envelope that had been next to the glass. A plain white envelope with her name scrawled across it in unfamiliar writing. Her hands trembled as she picked it up and ripped it open and pulled out the sheet of paper it contained. She began to read.

"Darling Patience.........."