THIRTY-NINE [UNEDITED]

Heaving a sigh of hesitation, Aurelia raised her hand up to knock on the door.

Before her knuckles touched the door, she stopped. She thought for several seconds, before rapping on the door.

!

"What kind of sentimental idiot writes down their feelings?" Katherine asked, huffing as she ripped up the page in which she had written.

"You did try to commit suicide by jumping off the clock tower." Stefan pointed out.

"Oh, and you saved me." She said, dramatically. "God, this idiotic method doesn't exactly make me want to live." Stefan rolled his eyes. "Look, I'm a fragile human who's now aging because Silas sucked the cure right out of me. What are you doing to help with that?"

"I'm just trying to make sure you don't kill yourself."

"And how are you going to do that?" She asked. "Since, you know, you're still having those little panic attacks." She stated. "It doesn't really help that flashback of the night you were thrown into the quarry happens every single minute." Her lips suddenly formed an 'O'. "Does Aurelia know? It did start the night you killed Silas, right? I heard you two spent some time together."

"I don't know, Katherine. Unless you've gone and told her, she doesn't know." Stefan said. "Besides, we need a little space right now."

"And why is that?" Katherine asked, resting her elbow on the table. "You two were quite the couple before I went and compelled you."

"She's mourning, and she's been through a lot these past few months. I'm here, trying to handle you." He answered. "As for those panic attacks, I'm dealing with it."

"I heard you "dealing with it" earlier in the library when you broke a chair, maybe even two. How are you supposed to help me stay alive if you can't even help yourself?" She said.

"Does this mean you want to live?" He asked.

"No. It means I can't work with people who can't give me one hundred percent." She said.

A knock on the main door made him look up.

"Which is why I called for some back up." She finished. He glanced at her, before instantly speeding to the main door, opening it.

!

The door swung open, revealing him with a slightly upset expression as Aurelia put up a forced smile. "Hey."

"Hey." He said, his eyes saddening.

"Are you on something, Aaron?" She tried to mock his words from the day before, but was unable to do it.

"Funny."

!

"Caroline." Stefan said. "What are you doing here?"

"Caroline?!" Katherine exclaimed, walking into view. "I called Aurelia."

"Aurelia's, um, unavailable right now." Caroline said. "I figured that she wouldn't be able to drive here after a night of no sleep."

"What happened?" Stefan asked.

"We lost a friend on campus, and it just took her back to square one." She answered. "She wanted to apologize for not being able to come, though. I think she would've come if she knew it was about you. Katherine only mentioned that she needed help." She explained. Stefan nodded, slowly as he let out a silent breath of hopelessness.

!

"So, you heard?" Aaron asked. Aurelia shook her head, avoiding a verbal lie.

"Heard what?" She asked.