Chapter Seven

Little number Eight was laughing with little number Five when the dinner bell rang. The smallest of the two jumped up, grabbing her friends hand and dragging him eagerly to where the food was waiting.

"I swear you'd sell your soul for food" the boy grumbled at being dragged down the stairs by the girl he loved so much.

The two of them, as always, sat next to eachother with Vanya next to Eight.

Five glanced at Lia who was shaking her head subtly at him. He opened his mouth and she grasped his thigh as a warning.

He turned to her in slight shock before shaking his head subtly.

He squeezed her hand, a gesture of quiet comfort that the two often shared.

Before stabbing the table.

The entire table looked up, slightly startled and even Number Eight flinched. Her heart filled with dread as she stared at her close friend.

"Number Five?" Reginald questioned as if Five had done nothing more than speak.

" I have a question." Five said sharply, putting his arms on the table and staring at the man in front of him.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson." came her fathers voice.

Five pushed his plate away, looking at his father in anger.

" I  want to time travel." he said viscously.

" No." Her father said, not even sparing a glance at the younger boy.

" But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." Five augued, spacial jumping away from Eight, who made a noise of protest - to his father.

The sudden movement did not offend the older man, who was used to Eight's fits of fear in the middle of the night when she'd come running to him.

" A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." was all he said.

Eight hated this side of her father. She wished that he would care for them the way he did for her.

" Well, I don't get it." Five said staying stubborn.

" Hence the reason you're not ready, " Her father kept the same harsh tone he always used for the other siblings.

" I'm not afraid." Five raised his voice. But the increase of volume did nothing to sway the old man.

" Fear isn't the issue." Reginald informed "The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five rolled his eyes in frustration before turning on his heel and running out the room.

Eight dropped her fork in horror.

At this movement the old nan did turn around." Number Five! You haven't been excused! - Come back here! "

Eight stood up and her father looked at her. "Please dad. Let me go after him."

The older man nodded once and Eight took that as her cue to run after the boy she loved so dearly.

"how come she gets to go out and I don't?" whined the teenage boy to his father.