Chapter Nine

Now Lia didn't follow them all the way into the building. She told them she was just going to wait outside.

"Too catch some air" she reassured.

She was glad that her lying skills had gotten better.

Instead she turned down the darkest of streets.

Lia didn't specifically remember why she was turning down certain street or where she was going. She just had a feeling - a feeling that she had to meet someone.

Finally she turned to her destination.

It was cold and bitter. The slimy moss-ridden walls seemed to suck the light out of everything as well as leaving a damp smell to the air. However despite this fact, Lia could clearly see a hooded figure lent against a dustbin. The face was obscured by the black hoodie, its identity hidden through sexless clothes.

"What do you want?" Lia called, her voice bouncing off the walls.

"I came to warn you Orphelia,"

It was a woman.

"That the world is ending and there's people after Five? Yeah I know. Past that now." Lia said stiffly.

The woman laughed. "I forgot how stubborn - never mind. That's not why I am here,"

Lia slowly moved closer. "Then why are you?"

The woman turned away, making it impossible to see who was under the hood.

"I can't give too much away. It disrupts the balance. You need to remember. You have to remember,"

"I know that I used to be with Five, he's told me that much," Lia said, worry lacing her voice.

The woman nodded. "I thought he might. You need to remember what you learnt."

"Remember what? What don't I remember? What did I learn? " Lia shouted but it was too late. The woman, whoever she was had dissappeared in a glow of blue light.

The funny thing was, Lia could have sworn she saw Five's old wristwatch gleeming on the woman's wrist before she left.

Lia sighed.  So much for finding out more. She had not even gotten a good look at the woman! It was almost as if she was not there at all. With clouded thoughts and a heavy heart, she trudged back to the white building where she had left Five, and walked in.

"Excuse me Miss, but you can't be here," said an overly friendly receptionist. "unless you have an appointment,"

Lia put on her best fake smile. "Oh, my friend came here a while ago. I'm here to pick him up. He came about an eye?"

The receptionist smiled "Oh of course dear. Such a lovely boy, are you sure he's just a friend?"

Lia resisted rolling her eyes. "We'll see where it goes," she giggled, and the receptionist waved her off with a vague direction on where to go.

It did not take long to find them.

"Jesus, you are a real sick bastard."

Lia groaned. Was there no normal way of dealing with things in this family? Did everything have to be so extra?

"Thank you." the queen of extra spoke.

Lia followed them out of the room, where the man in the white coat looked at files. She skipped up to Five, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

He jumped slightly, jumping into a more defensive position before realising it was Lia, and relaxed.

"Glad you've caught your breath and can now concentrate on the end of the world," he said flatly.