Chapter fourteen

Everything was wasteland, everything once bright and colourful now turned to dust and ash.

The only spark of colour was the red scarf wrapped around Lia's neck as she skipped merrily  across the devastating wasteland, a bright smile on her face.

"Look Five, I found a daisy!" she said excitedly waving it around.

Five cracked a small smile, despite the dire situation Lia had always found a way to be happy.

"Come on Lia, we're almost at the nearest city," was all he said, holding out his arm to her.

The two were now late teens. Both had dirt upon their faces, both sat on the cold stone steps, both under a heavy blanket. Lia had her head on Five's shoulder as they gazed up at the stars above them.

"Do you think we'll ever go back home Five?" she asked turning her head to look at him.

Five nodded "One day Lia, we will save them all."

She smiled "At least we have each other right?"

"Always Ophelia, always." he responded holding her tighter.

She was sick, and it wasn't a common cold either.

Her skin was turning a sickly blue, her eyes now sore and bright red. She was constantly cold to touch but Five didn't care, he held her in his arms as she drew a shaky breath. She was propped up against him so he was cradling her.

"Five," she breathed before coughing up the same golden liquid she had been throwing up earlier on.

He shook his head "No, you just rest." he stroked her hair.

"Five Hargreeves," she whispered, her eyes beginning to close, her breathing slowing.

"No, nononono Ophelia open your eyes," Five begged "Please Ophelia, please don't leave me here alone I can't do this without you,"

The smaller girl opened her eyes and Five jumped.

Gone we the honey irises, gone were the bright eyes. All that was left was liquid gold glazing of her eyes.

"I love you," she breathed before the rising and falling of her chest stopped and gold liquid poured out of every pore.

Five let out a cry, watching as the girl he loved become consumed by the very thing that once gave her power. He turned away, unable to look at the lifeless body before him.

Maybe if he had turned around just a little later, he would have seen the ghost like figure of Lia reaching out to him before she disappeared completely.

It had been many years since Ophelia's death, and Five had found comfort in maniquin, which he had names Delores. He was sat on the stone steps that he and Lia had shared so many memories on.

"Of course I miss her Delores," he said drinking the wine "That's why I'm still here, becuase if I can find a way  home I can save her."

A woman cleared her throat.

Five jumped up, raising his gun at the woman.

"Who are you?" he growled, not even flinching.

"I'm the Handler. I've heard lots about you number Five, your ability to manipulate time mean we kept a close eye on you. I'm here to offer you a job."