XI

Chapter 11 | A TOTAL VILLAIN NAME

Nina sits down in the rocking chair, and I stand between her and the fireplace.

"Okay," I start, "so how long will it take to get there?"

She frowns, "There? You mean just to the woods? It will be about an hour-long ride."

"Ride?"

Oh, so we'll be riding in a car or something. I just expected to walk to the forest, as I assumed it wouldn't be too far.

"Yep, plus, you'll have to walk in the woods for a while before you meet him."

"That's what my uncle said in his letter," I comment. "What's the man's name?"

"Vaughn Westergaard."

I process the name for a moment.

Vaughn is...interesting enough as it is. And then Westergaard, which reminds me of Skarsgaard, like the guy who plays Pennywise.

Huh. What a total villain name.

"How old is he?" I ask.

She smiles, knowingly, "I'm sure you'll see."

Frowning, I question, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Crap, is he like a really creepy old man?

"Like I said, you'll see."

That's not a very good sign, is it?

Uncertain, I nod slowly, deciding to not think about it anymore. "What can you tell me about him?"

"Well, as you know, he doesn't like very many people. No one truly knows where he lives. Well, your uncle did before he disappeared. He stays in the woods for months on end, rarely comes to the village. A few times, some women from the village," she coughs, and I think I hear the name, 'Luna,' "they tried to bring him some homemade food and gifts. Except, they didn't know where to go. Went in the general direction they were pointed in. He found them, though."

"...And?"

"He shot arrows at them, wasn't interested in them, or what they brought him at all. Just wanted them to go away."

"Is he like that with everyone?"

"Yeah. He only socializes if he wants to."

"Oh...so what are the chances of arrows being shot at me?"

"Well...just make sure to tell him who you are, maybe show him the letter. You do have the letter, right?"

"Of course."

She nods, "Good. Since there is still a chance that he may turn you away, Henry and Matthias will camp out and wait to make sure you've made it."

"But...how will they know if I've made it?"