XXXV

Chapter 35 | SUNSET AND THE MEANING OF 'VAUGHN' 

"What do you call a wolf that asks for directions?" I ask randomly, my voice breaking through the silence.

Vaughn looks up at me, brows furrowing. "What?"

His 'what?' isn't showing any interest in my joke, unfortunately. No, he's literally just asking me 'what?' because he's Vaughn. And Vaughn is confused.

I wonder if he even understands the concept of jokes...I can literally hear him saying something like, 'wOLvEs dOn't aSk fOr diRecTiOnS.'

Either way, I keep going and answer my own question. "A where wolf."

Silence.

I get no acknowledgment whatsoever. Vaughn's expression remains expressionless, and his voice remains unheard.

So, I hit him with the next one.

"What do you call a wolf that meditates?"

Silence.

"Aware wolf."

One of the wolves below bites at another one, but other than that, the silence remains.

Okay, I mean, I know both jokes had the same punchline, but really? I get no response to this one, either?

Fine. Time to tell the final and worst one yet.

"What do wolves do when they're hungry?" I ask, and after a few seconds, I lamely say: "They wolf down their food."

Vaughn stays quiet for a few moments as he stares at me, giving me the most unimpressed look.

"Tell me that's not what you looked so deep in thought for."

Well...

I start to snicker through my nose but quickly stop, not saying a word.

Am I really this immature, or am I just that bored?

Wait...

That would actually make an excellent title for my autobiography if I were to ever write one.

"For the past fifteen minutes, you've been looking quite serious and doing that scrunchy thing that you do with your eyebrows," he says. Then, he asks: "And the whole time, you were just making up terrible jokes?"

What? Scrunchy thing that I do with my eyebrows? I do a scrunchy thing with my eyebrows?

"...Well, I wasn't exactly making them up. I just remembered the ones I've already heard before."

"Still...those are the ones you remembered?"

"Hey," I say in light defensiveness, "you can only make fun of me for my jokes when you're able to make better ones. But right now, I'm not even sure if 'joke' is in your vocabulary. You've probably never said that word before now."