XXXVI

Chapter 36 | TWENTY-ONE QUESTIONS AND THE TREK BACK

He answers quickly, as soon as the sentence is finished: "No."

"Well, you didn't have to shoot it down so quickly," I mutter. "Why not, though?"

"Because we basically play that every time we have a conversation."

Oh. "You have a point," I nod. "But what else is there to do when you've been treed by a wolf pack?"

"It's not an entire wolf pack," he points out for no reason, and I deadpan.

"Yes, I know that, but you get what I'm trying to say here."

He breathes the cold, fresh winter air in deeply, tilting his head back to rest on the tree trunk as he looks up at the dark sky. "Fine. You start."

I smile, "Really?"

He looks at me, "I'm assuming that's your first question."

"No, nope, not my first question," I reply quickly while thinking of my actual first one.

I didn't think he'd actually agree to play. Now, what do I say?

I think I'll start off easy. Ask a few simple questions, and then directly hit the man with a bigger one.

"Okay, what's your favorite animal?"

He purses his lips for a split second, the corners lifting slightly. He looks at me, slightly amused. He's probably thinking, 'Really? That's your first question?'

I work to keep the smirk off my face. Vaughn'll have no idea what hit him.

"Dogs."

I nod, as I totally saw that coming.

"And yours?"

"Same. I like orcas, too, though," I answer, then ask: "Favorite subject in school?"

"Math," he replies. "What do you think about this current situation?"

I lift an eyebrow, slightly confused. But nonetheless, after peering down to look at the many branches below us, I answer. "Well, I honestly wish I was eating something by the woodstove right now. I'd much prefer that to being cold in a tree above human-slaughtering wolves. But other than that, the situation could be worse, I guess. I could be stuck up here next to an unlikeable human being, for example."

He tilts his head, "You think I'm likable?"

For some reason, yes. Even though you haven't exactly been cheerfully nice to me.

"My turn, not yours," I smile. "Favorite season...and why?"

"Summer. I don't have to worry about hiding my tracks," he answers. "What do you think of the village?"