XLIX

Chapter 49 | BENJAMIN

When he returns, Nina's back in the kitchen, and he still has his bag around his right shoulder.

Mya instantly perks up when she sees him.

I roll my eyes, finishing up my pancakes before turning to Benjamin, ignoring how Vaughn sits back down beside him and begins to eat his waffles.

"I thought you didn't like me," I state.

These people here...are somewhat strange characters, if I do say so myself. First, they're saying it's not nice to meet me; then, they're helping me out of uncomfortable situations.

No one I know really seems 'normal,' besides Nina, Hayley, and William, I suppose.

But that's it.

He shrugs, "I don't."

I raise a thick eyebrow, unlike Mya. "Then, what did you care if my personal space was being invaded or not over there?"

He shrugs again, "I was bored."

Oh. Well, that's understandable.

Nodding, I hear myself telling him that I was too, before glancing behind him for a split second.

Mya's moved over to the seat next to Vaughn, talking to him, but he appears to be ignoring her. I watch as his head lifts and turns to glance in my direction, and we make eye contact for a moment.

I watch him frown slightly before all I see is Benjamin's head, as he's moved to the seat right next to me, blocking my shared gaze with Vaughn.

Dude, if I wanted to be right next to you, I wouldn't have taken the seat over from you.

I can't believe he just blocked my view like that.

He literally just pulled a Mya...but why?

As soon as I ask myself the question, my mind flashes back to Vaughn's words about how the whole Mick thing would happen again, and I sigh silently.

Is that what's happening, then? Vaughn's prediction is coming true? If so, I must say this is so chaotic.

Or at least that's how it feels, anyway.

He leans forward, "So, where are you from, exactly?"

I look down at my hands as I fiddle with them, feeling an obnoxious blush rise because of how uncomfortable I am.

"Um, Washington."

"I've never been there. What's it like?"

I think back to the summer days spent reading outside, winter days spent reading in my room. I enjoyed walking around the neighborhood at times, though I never went far because I always walked alone. There were a few different things to do in Spokane, not that I ever did any of them, but if you were the adventurous type, it would be enjoyable, I guess.