XXXVII

Chapter 37 | TWICE IN ONE DAY

When I open up the cabin door again, the last thing I expect to see is Moose sprawled out by the woodstove.

Vaughn's lying on the futon, eyes closed, but I can tell he's pretty much aware of everything going on around him.

I shut the door behind me, immediately taking off all of my winter clothes and setting them by the woodstove to dry.

After petting the dog, I walk over to the cot, which has remained untouched since I last left it.

I sit down on it, criss-cross applesauce style as I raise an eyebrow at the man in front of me.

There's silence between us for a few moments.

"Any particular reason for your staring?" He questions lowly, keeping his eyes locked shut.

Do I even mention it?

I decide not to put him on the spot about it, smiling softly and lying down. "What makes you think I was staring?"

The side of his mouth lifts slightly, but he doesn't reply.

However, by asking him that, I basically confirmed his assumption. Oops.

We lay in silence, both glad to be sheltered from the harsh weather outdoors.

After a bit, Moose gets up and slowly comes to lay on the floor between the cot and futon, sighing in contentment.

I've realized, though, that he doesn't like the hardwood floors inside, as he has a bit of trouble walking on them. Which is probably why he likes the bedroom/living room area so much. The carpet.

Eventually, Vaughn rises and goes to the kitchen, pulling out different things.

Curious, I get up and walk over to him, observing the different items.

"What're you making?" I inquire as I lean against the counter.

"Venison stroganoff," he pauses. "That okay?"

"Sounds good," I respond. "...Do you need help?"

He glances at me, "Do you want to help?"

I hesitantly nod, and he begins instructing me on what to do.

Besides instruction on how to make the dish, we work in silence for the most part, and when it's finished, we eat in silence, too.

I don't mind, though. I feel comfortable enough to not have to say anything.

After dinner, he leaves to go start the sauna, so I opt to start a book I have downloaded on my tablet.

That's a bad idea, apparently, because before I know it, hours have passed by and I'm halfway through the whole thing, completely enraptured. Vaughn's taken his sauna and is now laying on the futon, not yet sleeping, and I've moved to sit criss-cross applesauce by the woodstove.