XIX

Chapter 19 | NIGHTMARES AND CAMO MEMES

"What?" Vaughn asks again, but I continue to ignore him, swiping the notification away.

Oh, no.

Oh, no, no, no, no.

This is terrible, absolutely terrible. I just got to Alaska, and now my period simply decides it's going to show up out of nowhere?

I mean, I knew I'd be getting it somewhat soon, but now?

This is absurd.

I almost always get immobilizing cramps, and I spend the first day curled up in bed doing nothing.

I can't be doing that in a cold cave with Vaughn judging my every move and bloodthirsty wolves lurking around!

He'll definitely think I'm weak then, even though research shows that period cramps can hurt just as bad as heart attacks.

I breathe in deeply, closing my eyes.

Then, I breathe out and open them again.

Relax, Mikaere. It will do no good to stress out about it.

Besides, it only said PMS was coming up, not: 'your period starts tomorrow.'

And, this actually could work out okay, maybe!

I could plan my trip to the village to coincide with when I start feeling bad. I could maybe stay at the tavern and rest when I feel the worst, and then after the first two days and until it's over, I could go around doing some amateur detective work.

I open the app to see when it's estimated to be arriving. Today is Sunday, and it says I'll probably get it Saturday. I'm supposed to go to the village sometime within the week, so I'll plan to go on Friday.

Genius! This is great!

I set my phone in my bag with that plan set in my mind, focusing on paying attention to my current surroundings, now.

I look up and around me, but see no sign of Vaughn.

Moose, however, is laying nearby on his side, looking as if he's sleeping. But then I see his legs twitch, and I hear slight whimpers.

The poor puppy is having nightmares.

"He's fine."

I look and see Vaughn walking past the cave over to the deer, carrying a black bag.

I stand up and walk over to the dog, kneeling down and stroking his brown fur lightly, and immediately he stops twitching and whimpering.

"Aw, oh my gosh."

I stay doing that until Vaughn walks past the cave and towards his isolated log cabin, bare hands red.

I cringe at the sight of the blood, looking to the side to see the deer hanging from a tree, head up. I notice Vaughn has hung it up quite high with the rope, and I'm guessing it's because of the wolves.