LII

Chapter 52 | AU REVOIR

As soon as I hear his voice, relief fills me immediately.

Looking in the direction where I heard him, I see Vaughn standing a couple of yards away with his usual rifle slung around his shoulder.

And, I'm actually somewhat stunned to see he looks pissed off.

That's great!

While Roan, who also appears surprised like me, is still staring at the other man, I quickly take advantage of his distracted state and scramble up, running to stand near Vaughn.

He won't let me get hurt. Or taken away.

At least, not right away, I hope.

I mean, sure, he wasn't my biggest fan in the beginning, but these past few months we've grown to be...friends. Right?

Right.

As I stand beside him, he looks over to me, quickly glancing over me from head to toe.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I nod, smiling somewhat as I look up at him and his lightly furrowed eyebrows. But then Roan snarls slightly, glaring in my direction. "I have to take her in," he says.

Sighing, I try to begin my reasoning with him. "Roan, listen-"

"You do realize that I'm a bounty hunter, right?"

No way. "I-"

"It's my job to-"

"Liste-"

"Unfortunately for you-"

"I THINK MY UNCLE WAS MURDERED," I shout, growing tired of this back and forth, making him shut up, and Vaughn frowns in my direction.

Roan doesn't consider my words for very long, quickly spitting out, "Well, do you think or do you know? You should know, shouldn't you? Considering you're a murderer yourself."

What? Is he serious right now? How does that make any sense?

"Actually, Roan, am I? I mean, do you know for sure that I killed her? Or is that just what you think?"

He glares at me. "There's proof."

"Such as?"

He stays silent for a moment before he counter asks: "And do you have proof about your uncle?"

"I'm pretty sure, yeah. I just found John's SD card hidden in Henry's niece's room, so I was planning on going to look at what's on it."

There's silence for a few moments before Roan takes a step forward. Vaughn reacts immediately, slightly stepping forward in front of me.