XXXI

Chapter 31 | LOUD LAUGHER, HALF AND HALF, AND THE WEEK

Since it is now later in the day, people are filtering in for an early Friday Fish Fry dinner, and the absolute loudest people just sat down at the table behind me.

I have not bothered to turn around to see what they look like, but I know for a fact that one of them enjoys laughing to the fullest. And hey, props to this guy. He's living his life happily, and that's great. Good for him. However, I'm pretty sure no one else particularly likes it when he laughs. I swear, his laugh is just booming, thunderous, and kind of scary, actually. And the first time I heard it, I accidentally jumped slightly.

No one else but Vaughn noticed, and the corner of his mouth actually lifted the tiniest bit.

Glad to see he finds amusement in me being startled.

"Now, Jane..." Richard starts, effectively shutting Roan up for the time being. "I'm thinking..."

Is Roan trying to impress his father with these stories? That's actually kind of sad if it's true.

In all honesty, I'm not really paying all that much attention to the current situation. Yes, I came back out ready to act interested, but then I accidentally just kind of...zoned out again. However, that changes when I silently receive a soft but swift nudge from underneath the table.

I look up quickly from where I was absentmindedly scrutinizing my fingernails. "Hm?"

I purse my lips awkwardly as the three pairs of men's eyes stare at me. One looks a little confused, the other is screaming, 'mindfulness, Mikaere,' and the other merely is just choosing to remain unbothered.

I'm a bit confused at first, too, just like Roan. But, as soon as I make eye contact with Vaughn, I remember.

Oh. That's right. I'm Jane.

Smiling apologetically, I turn to Richard. "Yeah?"

I silently thank Vaughn in my mind, grateful for him nudging me. Otherwise, it would have been much more awkward if I didn't respond to my own fake name.

"We're going on a winter vacation of sorts with my other son, Dean, and we'll be gone for three weeks or so. But afterward, if you're still around, we all should do something. You and Vaughn could come over for lunch, maybe."

"Oh, sure, I'd love to, bu-"

"Wonderful," Richard nods, and I take the opportunity to avoid Roan launching into his spontaneous story-telling mode by asking about their vacation plans.

"We're leaving tomorrow for British Columbia," Roan answers.

"Oh, I've never been there," I lie, "But I've always wanted to. It looks beautiful."

"It most certainly is," Richard replies. "It's where we've always vacationed."

"Oh, nice," I say, successfully managing to sound convincingly interested.