XXXIX

Chapter 39 | THROUGH THE FOREST, THROUGH THE SNOW, TO THE HIGHWAY

It's the first day of December.

Last night, when I went to take a sauna, I made sure to bring a flashlight, knife, hatchet, and Moose along for the trip between the two buildings.

I was not going to risk another lone wolf situation.

Today, I spend the majority of the daylight doing chores around the cabin. I wash my clothes, I wash dishes, and I dust and clean up most of the things inside.

It's tedious and boring work, but playing music helps me to keep going.

Vaughn, meanwhile, cooked all of the meals, chopped a lot of wood, and checked the area for any fresh wildlife tracks.

We surprisingly talk more than I was expecting, asking each other questions every time we run into each other.

I find myself realizing and recognizing that I really enjoy his company.

By evening time, we've both had our saunas and are just chilling in the cabin, enjoying the calm atmosphere.

I miss having Moose inside, however.

Apparently, Vaughn was totally serious about only allowing him inside for harsh weather. But then again...when is he not serious?

We're both reading our own things, but when I'm finished with mine, I really don't feel like starting another.

So, I opt to bug Vaughn with a random suggestion that he will more than likely turn down.

"Vaughn?"

"Yes, Mikaere?"

I rise from where I was lying on the cot, leaning forward. "You wanna play chess?"

He turns a page of his book, not even sparing me a glance. "No."

Well, I totally saw it coming.

"Why not?"

Silence.

Dang, and just when I thought we were getting somewhere.

"Is it because you don't know how to play yet?"

Silence.

"Keyword being yet. It's not that difficult to learn."

He moves his book down slightly, "You're not going to stop pestering me about this, are you?"

I smile brightly in response, and so he sits up, reluctantly setting his book down. "Fine."

I continue to smile to myself as I grab the cheap chess set from my bag, moving to go sit by the woodstove.

"Okay," I start. "First, I'm going to explain the different pieces and what they do, and then I'll explain the goal of the game and how each piece plays a part in attaining it."