XXVII

Chapter 27 | THE TRIO OF REGULARS

My eyes widen as Nina deliberately looks between Vaughn and me, then back to Luna. 

The woman standing directly to my left doesn't even get a chance to reply before she continues on: "You've flirted desperately with him for years only for him to ignore you. You've tried to bring him homemade food and everything...only for him to shoot arrows at you!" Nina laughs, "And then she comes along, he lets her stay with him, and within not even a week...he's coming with her to town. That must hurt."

My mouth drops open slightly, and I awkwardly decide to just avoid all eye contact and stare at the table as I try to process what was just said.

He didn't even shoot any arrows at me.

As I feel many eyes on me, my cheeks start to heat up, even though I wasn't the one Nina was talking to directly.

I can't help but feel really bad for Luna. Imagining myself in her place...it's humiliating, honestly. I hope she's-

"You think I'm jealous of her?" Luna scoffs, and immediately my thoughtful thoughts towards her stop. I lift my head to look at her, planning to listen intently on what she says next.

She continues, "She probably seemed so pathetic to him that he had to take her in, and he probably only lets her sleep in...in a cave or something. And so why would I be jealous of an acne-prone little girl with a boy's name? I mean, 'Mikaere'? Really?"

Oh, so Luna does remember my name!

Everyone in the room is silent as they look at me, awaiting my reaction.

But, honestly...I really don't care. The first two sentences of Luna's little rant were pure assumptions, even though I did have to sleep in a cave for one night. Acne? Luna's on my left side, so she probably saw that one little spot. I mean, my skin's not as beautiful as hers, but I personally think it's looking just fine at the moment.

But then again...it was a dirty window, and it was just a glimpse I got while walking...maybe my skin isn't looking like I thought it was.

I decide to shrug off that bit and hope for the best.

And as for the last part...is she aware that unisex names exist?

I think about mentioning how Nina literally just said why she would be jealous, but in the end, I choose not to.

However, someone else apparently has the same thought, because a moment later, Vaughn says nonchalantly: "I do believe Nina just told you why." His voice is a normal-people tone, not as relaxed as usual, and it's not what I'm used to hearing.

However, I can't help but smirk a little bit. Great minds think alike.

Everyone in the room except for Vaughn seems to be tense. They're all wide-eyed, looking back and forth between one another.