XLVI

Chapter 46 | BUT I LOVE HIM

By the time the sun is rising, I'm walking to the trail that leads out of the village. I'm not sure if Vaughn will be there or not yet, but if he isn't, I'm bound to meet him at some point along the way.

As I trudge along on the snowy pathway, I'm grateful I remembered to use the hand and feet warmers. They're heavenly, in all honesty.

I keep my head lifted, continuously glancing in every direction to stay aware of my surroundings.

Before I came here, I had a habit of always looking at the ground when I walked, to avoid any unnecessary eye contact. But after that wolf pack attack, I no longer allow myself to risk another.

Eventually, though, I see Vaughn through the trees, and quickly jog to meet him. "Good morning," I say happily.

"Morning, Mikaere. Would you like me to carry that?" He nods to my bag as we start heading back in the direction of the cabin, and I consider it for a split second, then decide against it.

"No, it's okay, it's not that heavy. Thanks, though."

He nods, and so before we descend into silence, I decide to tell him about Hayley and William.

"So, do you remember what John wrote to me in his last letter?"

"About?"

"About finding the two people who remind me most of my parents, and they'd lead me to you?"

"Yes. Nina and Henry."

"No," I reply, and he looks to his left at me, visibly confused.

"No?"

"There's a couple who visit the village that reminded me of my parents. Mainly because of their, I don't know, just their posture and interactions with their daughter and everything. So, I ended up talking to them, and it turns out they were actually excellent friends with John. We had breakfast recently, and they told me stories about him when he was here. I think... I think they were who John was actually talking about."

"Why haven't you spoken to them before?"

"They moved to Palmer years ago, but they still visit the village because the woman's mother lives here."

"How do you feel about this?"

I consider his question for a second. "I'm not really sure. I mean, if I hadn't met Henry and Nina, I wouldn't be so wrapped up in their situation and their niece's disappearance. I just, I don't know. For some reason, I feel like a fraud when I stay there now. Like, I know something they don't, and trusting them less makes me feel guilty, especially after all they've done for me."

He nods, listening patiently before I almost run into a branch. He quickly reaches his left hand over to my left side, grabbing my hip firmly and guiding me away from the thing before I can become female Thor.