Chapter Eighteen

"Aw, this sucks. I'm tired of walking and now we might get hit by a train." I whined as I slouched against Iggy. 

"What does that mean?" Gazzy asked pointing at a small metal plaque that said STAY OFF THE THIRD RAIL.

"It means the third rail has seven hundred volts of direct current running through it." Said Fang. "Touch it and you're human popcorn." 

"Okay then. So if we're hungry we can always cook food on the rails with currents?" Max shook her head at my comment. 

"Everyone off the rails." Iggy suddenly said. 

We all pressed ourselves against the walls and train whizzed by after 30 seconds. I held onto Nudge's hand in a tight grip. I could feel my whole body tremble before the train finally passed all the way. I push my hair back and take a deep breath. "Wow." 

"Well, that was fairly nerve-racking," Max said as she peeled herself off the wall and checked on everyone. 

"I hear voices." Iggy cupped his ear as I looked at the direction of the sound.

"Are we gonna meet the rat master and become ninja-eagles or something?" Fang smirked at his little joke as Max rolled her eyes. 

"Don't be stupid." Max turned around and continued down the dark hall.

"Who's there." A voice hissed out from the dark. 

I gripped Iggy's sleeve as we turned the corner and saw a small city. Groups of ragged people littered the concrete cavern. Several faces looked to us before losing interest. We quickly shuffled away to an empty ledge and bunkered down.

"I can do first watch. You guys did a lot of hard work today." I sat on the edge and kicked my legs back and forth and looked at the city around us. 

"Are you sure?" Max said as she sat down and draped her jacket over Angel. Max leaned against the wall and rubbed her temples. 

"Yeah, get some rest, Max." I smile before everyone now began to settle down and fall asleep.  

Only a few hours later Max started to stir. I crawl over to her side and place my hand on her shoulder. "Max?" Fang was by my side as Max whimpered out in pain. I grew tense as someone called out angerly, "Who's screwing with my Mac?"

"Who are you? What are you doing? You've crashed my whole system, you worthless dipstick!" 

"What are you talking about?" I held out a protective arm out as I glared at the kid. "Who the hell are you?"

He was a ragged-looking kid wearing old army fatigues. He had a PowerBook attacked to straps around his shoulders like some xylophone. "None of your beeswax! Just quit screwing up my motherboard."

"What are you talking about?" Max hissed out.

"This!" The kid turned his screen and we all could see a screen glitching out like crazy. 

We kept our eyes glued to the screen before it flickered and bright red letters glared back at us and our hearts stopped.

Hello, Max

Welcome to New York 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's so short, but thought this would be a good stop. Have a nice day!

 Have a nice day!