Chapter Twenty Seven

Up this high, I could clearly see the outline of Manhattan. Right across the East River was Long Island, which was much, much bigger than New York City. We flew above its coast as the sun went down, barely able to see the curly ridges of white-capped waves breaking along the shore. 

After an hour and a half, we saw a long stretch of black beach with few lights, which meant few people. Fang nodded at Max, and we aimed downward, enjoying the heady rush of losing altitude. Roller coasters had nothing on us. 

"Looks good," Fang said, scoping out the beach after we landed on the soft sand. It was undeveloped, with no attached parking lots. Huge boulders sealed off both ends, so it seemed even safer. Plus, other large boulders formed a natural outcropping that created a bit of shelter maybe thirty yards inland.

"So beautiful," Max said in awe as we settled down in the sand and looked out towards the sunset. 

"I've never seen the ocean before!" Nudge exclaimed. 

Gazzy ran ahead and splashed Max in the face, Iggy following behind but flinching with how cold the water was. 

Max yelled at Gazzy and splashed him back as Nudge followed behind. 

"Woah! Look a crab!" Gazzy pointed at the surf by his feet. Angel ran over to see, holding Celeste so her back paws barely touched the water.

"C'mon Fang!" Grabbing his wrist I pull him to the water and splash around. Fang stood in the water arms crossed and watched us with his broody face. "Don't just stand around grumpy!" I playfully splash him and he closed his eyes before he sighed. 

"You asked for this." He said.

"Wait. Wha-" I asked before I was splashed by a big wave. I cough and splutter before I wipe the water away from my eyes. 

"Water fight!" Gazzy yells out before he uses his hand to splash Nudge. 

"Eek! My new dress!" Nudge cried out. 

I laugh before I splash Iggy and we all begin to splash each other. 

"Haha. Our new clothes are wet." Max said as she tried to wring out some of the water in her shirt. 

"Wait where's Angel?" Nudge 

"Angel!" I yelled, plunging further into the water. 

Max reached Gazzy and grabbed his shoulder. "Where did she go down?" 

Fang splashed in behind me, and Nudge and Iggy made their way over. The six of us peered into the cold gray-blue water, able to see only a few inches down. A wave broke over us. 

"Angel!" Nudge yelled, cupping her hands around her mouth.

Fang was sweeping his arms through the water, his face close to the surface. We fanned out, squinting from the sun's glare, taking turns diving into the surf.

"Do you see anything?" Max cried to all of us. We shook our heads, keeping our eyes on the water. Once again, we swept the whole area, taking in every detail of the water, the beach, the open sea. And did it again. And again.

Soon Nudge let out a shriek of surprise as she looked behind at her legs. Angel popped up to the surfaced and smiled as Nudge let out a sigh of relief and put a hand over her heart. 

I sigh and run a hand through my hair as Angel explains she gained new power and could breathe underwater. 

"I bet I can do it too!" the Gasman said. " 'Cause we're siblings." He dropped down into the water and scooped up a big mouthful. Then he swallowed it, trying to blow out air. He gagged, then choked and started coughing violently. Seawater streamed out his nose, and he gagged again and almost barfed. "You okay?" I asked when he had finally shuddered to a halt. He nodded, looking wet, miserable, nauseated.