Chapter 12

It's been a couple of days since Ash and Serena stopped at Viridian City. After they retrieved their Pokemon from Nurse Joy, they continued their journey with Pikachu back on Ash's shoulder. As they walk, Ash becomes eager to prove himself as a trainer more than ever. Serena would often glance at him and smile, pleased to see the boy she cares about looking so fired up again.

Finally, they make their way to Pewter City, and Serena sighs thankfully in relief.

"I'm so glad we made it to the city," she says as she and Ash walk down the city street. "Another day, and we might have run out of food."

"Yeah, going on a journey isn't as easy without Clemont," Ash agrees. "We might have to find a new way to carry supplies before we leave Pewter City since it's going to take a day or so longer to get to Cerulean City."

"Pikachu," Pikachu says.

Serena nods in agreement and says, "Well, I hope eight more days is enough time to prepare for my Pokemon contest debut."

"I'm sure it is," Ash says supportively. "You'll have your first contest ribbon before you know it."

Serena smiles appreciatively of Ash's encouragement. The two trainers and Pikachu continue to walk through the city streets until Serena decides to speak again.

"So, where does your friend, Brock, live?" She asks.

"Not too far from here," Ash answers. "Just a few more blocks, and we'll make it to his family's house, which is right next to the Pewter City Gym."

"And are you sure it was a good idea not to tell him that we're coming before we left Viridian City?" Serena asks, concerned.

"Why wouldn't it be?" Ash asks. "Since I'm challenging the gym leader, I may as well arrive unexpectedly like a normal challenger. Besides, I bet he and his family will love the surprise of seeing Pikachu and me again."

"If you say so," Serena says unconvinced.

The three of them continue to walk until they find the Pewter City gym and a house standing not too far away from it. Serena smiles, admiring the exterior design of the gym as they pass by until the gym door suddenly flies open, and an eleven-year-old boy is running towards Ash, Serena, and Pikachu while carrying a beaten Kakuna.

"Out of the way!" the boy shouts desperately as Ash and Serena move to the sides just in time for the boy to pass by them and run away as fast as his legs can carry him.

"Oh my, did you see how much that poor Kakuna was hurt?" Serena asks, shocked.

"Yeah, looks like Brock and his rock Pokemon got those two pretty good. Right, Pikachu?" Ash says.

"Pika, pika," Pikachu says.

But as they are talking, the doors to the gym open again to reveal a familiar boy exiting the gym and stretching, feeling pleased before noticing the two trainers and smiles excitedly at the sight of Ash and Pikachu.

"Hey, Ash!" He calls out, running toward them, catching Ash's attention.

"Hey, Forrest. How are you?" Ash greets with a smile.

The two boys shake their hands firmly until Forrest notices Serena and looks at her curiously.

"Who is this?" He asks.

"I'm Serena. It's nice to meet you," Serena answers with a friendly smile. "How do you two know each other?"

"Forrest is one of Brock's brothers," Ash answers. "You see, Brock takes care of his siblings while running the gym."